social media apps?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
social media apps?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

Criticism and Canceling Are Not the Same

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Every few weeks, I hear the same story. Some celebrity gets called out for being racist or sexist (always those decade-old tweets that resurface), and society is divided on whether or not they’re being wrongfully canceled. More often than not, stars just have a lot of people commenting negative things under their posts on Instagram. This confusion surrounding criticism and canceling has led to every instance of a celebrity receiving negative attention being considered canceling. 

Canceling or Criticism?

To put it simply, people are getting canceling and criticism confused. On one hand, canceling is the collective act of either successfully or attempting to culturally de-platform someone in the public eye. This is usually attempted as a large group based on something a public figure did that seemed out of line. On the other hand, criticism, at least in this context, is simply showing disapproval for something someone in the public eye said or did. Both individuals and groups can criticize a public figure, but this is typically negative comments being thrown their way without any lasting, major repercussions (like loss of money, job loss, de-platforming, etc.). 

What we do see most often is varying levels of criticism for a celebrity or their actions. This criticism aims to point out faults in a celebrity or what they’ve done. This criticism is usually overwhelmingly negative, so people assume the public figure is being canceled. Criticizing a celebrity for doing something wrong isn’t canceling, it’s accountability. It’s not far off from telling your friend that they said something that made you uncomfortable and deciding to take a step back from that friendship for a few days. 

Cancel culture has its own faults, but as long as a famous person still has a platform and an active fanbase, they haven’t truly been canceled, just heavily criticized. At most, they are just disliked by a slightly larger section of the population than they were before. Once the storm blows over, they’re able to continue on as if nothing happened with the exception of the relatively small group that dislikes them and continues to remind the public. People tend to forget that canceling someone takes much more than a relatively small group of Twitter users sharing their opinion. 

The difference is subtle but important, especially in cases where public figures genuinely need to be held accountable but not necessarily canceled. Next time you see that someone got canceled, be sure to question whether or not they’ve just been criticized.  

Samantha is an Editorial Assistant and Contributing Writer for CU Boulder's chapter of Her Campus. In her editorial position, she edits articles for clarity and provides guidance to other writers so they can improve their skills. As a contributing writer, she submits two articles per month, often writing in depth about social phenomena. Aside from Her Campus, Samantha is a senior at CU Boulder, double majoring in philosophy and sociology. She's currently working on an Honors Thesis in philosophy and hopes to go to law school after graduating in May 2024. She is involved in campus organizations like the Miramontes Arts and Sciences Program, the CU LA Program, and the Honors Program. This semester, she’s a mentor for learning assistants as an LA Mentor. Outside of a school setting, Samantha enjoys crocheting, reading, and writing. Overall, she’s very quiet, and her hobbies reflect that. She can usually be found with heaps of yarn or her nose buried in a book, silently enjoying her time alone. In addition to writing as a member of Her Campus, she enjoys writing short stories and pieces about her life. One of her biggest goals is to publish a book of stories and pieces that almost act as a memoir.