Confident, Casual, Cocky: “Scarlet” Reaffirms Doja Cat is THAT B*tch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Given Doja Cat’s current controversy and newly proclaimed “dark side”, I was very much looking forward to her album release on September 20th. I am a casual Doja Cat fan – not going so far as to call myself a Kitten – but watching how the media has become obsessed with her “Scarlet Era” has intrigued me. Although I will never fully understand Doja Cat as a person (which is what she’s trying to prove by separating herself from her fans), I can still appreciate her musical talent and thoroughly enjoy her new album. Whether you are a self-proclaimed Kitten, an angry hater adding fuel to your fire, or a music lover looking for new songs for your playlist, join me as I review Doja Cat’s new album “Scarlet.” 

“Paint the Town Red”

“Paint the Town Red” became an instant hit when it was released in August. With a catchy beat and approachable lyrics, this song is the most mainstream song on “Scarlet”, yet matches the albums general theme of unapologetic feminine rage. Hence the lyric, “B*tch I said what I said…. I don’t care, I’ll paint the town red”. 

“Demons”

If you’re a fan of “Smack A B*tch” by Rico Nasty, then I recommend adding “Demons” to your playlist immediately. This song is the ultimate ego booster about being unapologetically bad. I can not get enough of “Demons.” 

“Wet Vagina”

Although the beat of this song sounds like something you’d hear pounding through the walls of a frat basement, I doubt many members of sigma ligma heehaw will see this song as more than a joke. “Wet Vagina” gets straight to the point about being successful and sexy with the lyric “I bring the drip with wet vagina” and I for one am a big fan.  

“F*ck The Girls (FTG)” 

“FTG” is dedicated to anyone who hates Doja Cat for being herself despite being self declared supporters (Kittenz this one’s for you). I am appalled when women tear each other down in order to elevate themselves, so I appreciate her calling out this competitive and hypocritical behavior. 

“Ouchies”

This song is one of my favorites on the whole album. “Ouchies” is yet another song aimed at those who doubt her talent. Framed as a boxing match, this is the ultimate bad bitch hype song. My favorite lyric is “you crusty, musty, dusty b*tches: don’t you ever, ever in your life, come for me”. I don’t think Doja Cat needs to explain herself anymore after the release of this banger. 

“97”

Yet again Doja Cat has released another piece of musical genius with “97”. “Looks like we don’t give a sh*t” is the key line in this song that shows how she doesn’t care about how she appears to the world. I highly recommend giving “97” a listen if you need a fellow bad b*tch to remind you of your worth. 

“Gun”

Hint: the word gun in this song is a symbol for a man’s member. Although it’s not my favorite song on “Scarlet”, I can’t help but nod along and tap my fingers when “Gun” starts playing in my headphones. Plus, bonus points because I support any woman who can express her sexual desires. 

“Go Off” 

Another hype song on an album constructed from pure feminine rage, “Go Off” is like a mantra for independent women all around the world. It’s about being your own boss, whether it’s sexually, with finances, or in your career. “Lil’ mama, go off, lil’ mama, go off.”

“Shutcho”

I was always told if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all; “Shutcho” is a Doja Cat spinoff of this saying. This song is equally catchy as it is honest and straight to the point. If you’re hating “shutcho dumb *ss up.”

“Agora Hills”

Oh how I love “Agora Hills.” This love song is about Doja Cat’s desire to show off her partner but how fame makes dating like a normal person difficult. It’s wistful, beautiful, and sweet. 

“Can’t Wait”

If you’re listening to “Scarlet” in order, then you will be shocked to find two love songs in a row. “Can’t Wait” is just as stunning as “Agora Hills” and is a letter to her future lover. With lyrics like “I wanna write you poetry and jokes and even songs” and “cook you a crab boil that reminds you of New Orleans”, even the biggest of Doja haters will find themselves smiling and humming along. 

“Often” 

This slow, soft, and catchy song is an ode to female pleasure. Thank you Doja Cat for continuously empowering your listeners! Plus, this song is arguably better than the Weeknd’s “Often” because it describes sex from a woman’s perspective and makes me much less uncomfortable.

“Love Life”

A song hasn’t made me this happy since Khalid released “American Teen” over six years ago. “Love Life” is wholesome, relatable, and helps listeners learn about Doja Cat’s personal life. It’s a thank you letter to family, food, friends, and everything in between. If you are going to listen to any song on “Scarlet”, make it “Love Life.”

“Skull and Bones”

Sticking true to the general theme of “Scarlet”, “Skull and Bones” addressed accusations of Doja Cat being a satanist. However, unlike “Ouchies”, “Demons”, and “Wet Vagina”, this song isn’t as angry and instead addresses how these accusations hurt her personally. She asks listeners, “what’s inside of me now but my soul?”

“Attention” 

Similar to “Often”, this song is a slow paced, almost trance-like bop about — you guessed it — sex. However, she also alludes to her hate comments and raps “lookin’ good, but now they all sayin’ that I’m ugly, boohoo my n***a, I ain’t sad you won’t f*ck me.” Just like many, I’m waiting for the day Doja Cat can do something without thousands of people inserting their opinions on it. 

“Balut”

“Balut” has a simple beat, alternative sound, and is the perfect song to walk to. She raps about how easy it is for her to be successful, referencing Shaquille O’Niel and Ric Flair. Even with all her controversy, “it’s like takin’ candy from a baby” when it comes to Doja Cat’s musical influence. 

“WYM Freestyle” 

The title says it all; this song is a freestyle rap which wasn’t originally on the album but was added last minute. Doja Cat releases any last words towards her haters to a sick beat and i highly recommend giving “WYM Freestyle” a listen. 

Whether you’ve condemned her as a satanist, have her poster over your bed and call yourself a Kitten, or you just really like “Say So”, there’s no denying “Scarlet” is a hit album; Doja Cat has made her mark on the music industry and continues to receive media attention. She is confident, casual, and cocky while remaining true to herself.  No matter what you think about her, Doja Cat is that b*tch. 

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya Oliver is the Editor-in-Chief and a contributing writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Colorado at Boulder. As Editor-in-Chief, she oversees a team of editors, is the lead publisher and editor, and works as a campus corespondent. Outside of Her Campus, Lanaya is a senior at the University of Colorado Boulder. She is double majoring in both Psychology and Spanish with a minor in Sports Media. Her writing career started in high school when she was elected the position of school wide poet laureate after winning a poetry contest in her sophomore year. Now Lanaya’s writing has evolved from creative pieces to profiles and articles for her Her Campus articles. In her personal life, Lanaya is an ACE certified personal trainer and teaches both cycle and barre classes. Fitness is her passion and more often than not she can be found lifting weights, riding a bike, or running. She also enjoys being outdoors, binge watching movies, spending time with friends, thrift shopping, and munching on any white cheddar flavored snack she can find. Lanaya hopes to find a balance between her love for writing and her dreams of working in the fitness industry in her future career.