camera event live settings 66134?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
camera event live settings 66134?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Bringing Annabeth Chase to Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Middle school emerged as a pivotal period that not only shaped our identities but also laid the foundation for enduring passions that continue to define us.  Among these interests, or one might even label that hyperfixations, include the Percy Jackson series.  Crafted by the imaginative mind of Rick Riordan, this young adult series revolves around Percy Jackson:  an ordinary teenager who discovers he is a demigod, the human son of Posiedon, the Greek god of the sea.  Embarking on a journey of self-discovery, Percy, alongside his steadfast friends Grover and Annabeth, learns to navigate the complexities of a newfound world teeming with gods, monsters, and mythological creatures.   The series not only captivated my imagination during those formative years but continues to resonate, underscoring the enduring influence that middle school has had on my lifelong interests.  

In 2020, the mere whisper of a Disney adaptation of Rick Riordan’s beloved Percy Jackson and the Olympians series had me immediately obsessed.  I was thrilled to see a different on-screen adaptation of the books, having seen the only two movies that came out in the 2010’s.  In 2022, when the cast for the series was unveiled, fans flew to all forms of social media to discuss their opinions.  I remember how pleased everyone seemed to be with Walker Scobell as Percy despite the character being described with jet-black hair and sea green eyes.  This was not the case for Leah Jeffries.  

Leah Jeffries is a 14 year old African-American child actress from Detroit, Michigan.  Before gracing the screen with her acting prowess, Leah initially entered the world of showbiz as a model, showcasing her versatility from a young age.  She landed the role of Annabeth in May 2022 and lots of fans took to social media and revealed they weren’t very fond of Jeffries playing Annabeth because the character was described as blonde with stormy gray eyes.   

Annabeth Chase is one of the main protagonists in the Percy Jackson series as Percy’s best friend and love interest.  Born as the demigod daughter of a Harvard professor and the Greek goddess of wisdom, Athena, Annabeth embodies intelligence and a scholarly disposition.   Annabeth is smart and bookish and aspires to be an architect to build monuments to the gods.   She is an extremely ambitious and stubborn girl who just wants to go on a quest to prove herself.   Personally, I found myself enamored with this formidable and proud female character, looking up to her as a source of inspiration.  Annabeth’s significance transcends the realms of friendship and romance and instead emerges as an indispensable mentor, teaching Percy about teamwork, strategy, and his own strengths.        

In the face of criticism from some fans dissatisfied with Jeffries’ casting as Annabeth, the young actress displayed commendable composure, handling racist backlash with poise by opting not to engage with the hateful comments. In a public statement, Leah Jeffries not only defended her role but also asserted that negativity serves as motivation-reinforcing her determination to authentically portray Annabeth. Rick Riordan, the author who personally handpicked Leah for the part, stepped in to defend the casting decision in his blog in May 2022. He clarified in a public statement that Jeffries’s personality- a crucial factor beyond mere appearance- made her the ideal choice.  He also goes as far as to say, “If you have a problem with this casting, however, take it up with me.”  Alexandra Daddario, the actress who previously portrayed Annabeth in the movie adaptations, took to Twitter to endorse Leah Jeffries as an excellent fit for the role, adding another layer of support. With backing from the author, fellow cast members, and even the predecessor, the initial skepticism surrounding Jeffries’s casting transformed into widespread praise among fans for bringing Annabeth to life.  

In navigating the fan backlash, Leah Jeffries has exemplified a level of wisdom and class that positions her as the perfect embodiment of Annabeth Chase.  Rather than giving into the negativity and racial criticism, Jeffries gave a dignified response and chose to showcase maturity beyond her years.  Her resilience, as expressed in her public statement where she turns adversity into motivation, echoes the qualities of the character she portrays.  I couldn’t think of a better person to portray Annabeth after hearing how she handled this situation and actually seeing her execute the character perfectly on screen.  Annabeth has always been a character I look up to and I now look up to the 14 year old who plays her in the Percy Jackson series for the very same reasons. 

Melanie Santiago

CU Boulder '25

Melanie Santiago is a junior and a contributing writer at Her Campus CU Boulder. She is majoring in Environmental Design with an emphasis in Architecture. She has always loved reading and writing and wants to see how architecture and writing can blend together in the future. She found her love for writing in her childhood where she would write creative short stories as gifts to her family members and also enjoyed writing out the script as a morning announcer for her middle school. Melanie is a passionate writer when it comes to movies, pop culture, and all things Latino culture. In her free time, Melanie enjoys coffee runs, movie nights, any CU sports game, going on a long run, and attending concerts or any live music get together. Melanie also loves traveling and seeing all the world has to offer.