This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

This past summer, I set a goal to read more. Thanks mostly to the Boulder Public Library, I ended up reading 18 books from May to August! Here are a few of my recommendations.

“Tell No one” by harlan coben

“Tell No One” is a mystery novel told from the perspective of Beck, a doctor who’s wife was abducted and murdered when he was 25. Eight years later, Beck receives an email with a video of his wife, alive, along with the message to “tell no one” what he saw. Beck then has to investigate whether his wife’s murder was faked and what really happened eight years ago. This book was thrilling and will keep you on the edge of your seat if you’re looking for a fast-paced story.

“The ballad of songbirds and snakes” by suzanne collins

If you had a Hunger Games phase in middle school like I did, this book is a must-read. This novel is a prequel to the original series, and follows Coriolanus Snow as he becomes a mentor in the 10th Hunger Games. At first, he is disappointed to be assigned the female District 12 tribute, but he soon learns that there is more to her than meets the eye. This book shows the origins of many events from THG series, so fans of the original books will love this story.

“when they call you a terrorist” by patrisse khan-cullors

Patrisse Khan-Cullors is one of the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement, and in this memoir, she shares her personal experience with systemic racism. She specifically tells the stories of her father and brother, who were both incarcerated and mistreated by the carceral system. This book is very eye-opening to how intersectionality harms people in the policing and prison systems. If you’ve been following the Black Lives Matter movement these past few years, I highly recommend you read this book.

“an absolutely remarkable thing” by hank green

This novel is told from the perspective of April May, who finds a mysterious statue in New York City while coming home late one night. She and her friend make a YouTube video with the statue, and to their surprise, the video goes viral. April is thrown into fame but doesn’t expect all the struggles that come with being a public figure. Worse, studies begin to show that the statues that April found are not of this earth. This novel was unlike any I’ve read before, and it will definitely keep you entertained.

“half of a yellow sun” by chimamanda ngozi adichie

This novel takes place during the Nigerian Civil War, and follows three different characters’ experience with how war impacted their lives. The novel did a great job of showing how conflicts affect individuals at a very personal level and how relationships can be formed or broken through the challenges faced during a war. I loved the prose in this book, and since I didn’t previously know much about the Nigerian Civil War, I felt like I learned a lot.

“red, white, and royal blue” by casey mcquiston

This book is about the First Son of the United States falling in love with a prince from the United Kingdom and how they maneuver the various challenges that come with being in a public relationship despite criticism from both of their countries. I thought this story concept was so unique, and I was not disappointed by the execution. If you’re a sucker for a good love story, then this is the book for you.

“i would leave me if i could” by halsey

I picked this book up because I’ve been a fan of Halsey’s music for years, and it did not disappoint! This book is Halsey’s first collection of poetry. The subject matter is deep, but in terms of the book’s length, it was a short and simple read. If you liked other modern poetry collections like “Milk and Honey,” this book is perfect for you.

I hope this list helped you find a new book to enjoy this semester, happy reading!

Jordyn Stapleton has been a National Lifestyle Writer for Her Campus since February 2023. She covers a variety of topics in her articles, but is most passionate about writing about mental health and social justice issues. Jordyn graduated from CU Boulder in December 2022 with Bachelor’s degrees in music and psychology with a minor in gender studies and a certificate in public health. Jordyn was involved in Her Campus during college, serving as an Editorial Assistant and later Editor-in-Chief for the CU Boulder chapter. She has also worked as a freelance stringer for the Associated Press. Jordyn is currently taking a gap year and working at a local business in Boulder, with hopes of attending graduate school in fall 2024. Jordyn enjoys reading, bullet journalling, and listening to (preferably Taylor Swift) music in her free time. If she isn’t brainstorming her next article, you can usually find her exploring coffee shops or hiking trails around Boulder with her friends.