I never understood the radio show rave; the idea of listening to a stranger talk never sounded appealing to me. But with the rising popularity of podcasts, I decided to give radio a chance and explore some of the many shows on Spotify. Here are some of my favorite podcasts and why I recommend them. 

1. Exactly. With Florence Given

One of my favorite podcasts is “Exactly. With Florence Given”: which covers issues ranging from dating to body image to social media use. I love Florence because she’s laid back, funny, honest, and has a relaxing British accent. I definitely recommend giving this podcast a listen! 

1. Sagittarius Today

For all my astrology girls and guys, you need to check out your Spotify daily horoscope. With one series per star sign and less than two minutes per episode, checking your horoscope has never been so easy. I can’t promise this series is the most scientifically reliable, but I like to start my morning by listening to this podcast.

1. The Psychology of Your 20’s

A common theme in my podcast list is accents; host Jemma Seeg has the cutest Australian twang. I love this podcast because I learn about psychological concepts from a fellow psych major with real-life examples and comical anecdotes. 

4. Who The Hell is Hamish?

This podcast is about an Australian pathological liar and criminal. It features interviews with friends and family, descriptions of Hamish’s crimes, and was absolutely addicting. I loved this series! 

5. Poor Historians: Misadventures in Medical History Podcast

Hosted by three middle-aged men (one of which is a fellow Her Campus member’s dad), this podcast is the perfect background for those who are feeling homesick and want to hear some dad jokes. Plus, who can deny some slightly gory medical stories?

1. Sounds Like A Cult

If you like conspiracy theories, question some social groups, or simply want to learn something new, this is the podcast for you. Hosts Isa Medina and Amanda Montell dissect the structure and habits of some social groups and explain why they are similar to cults. I especially like the episode on Greek life. 

1. The Sleepy Bookshelf

If you use podcasts as background noise or to help relax, you should check out “The Sleepy Bookshelf.” This series is exactly what it sounds like: host Elizabeth reads aloud and never fails to put me to sleep. With a wide range of books, this podcast offers a book reading for everyone. 

Sitting Neverending Story GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Becoming a podcast listener can sometimes be intimidating, difficult, and unapproachable. It can be hard to find a series with interesting commentary, a host with a soothing voice, and a wide range of episodes. Hopefully, these podcasts will help introduce you to the world of radio and like me, you will find a new passion.

Lanaya Oliver

CU Boulder '24

Lanaya is originally from Colorado but has lived all over the world. She loves to play sports, paint, write, and bake. She is double majoring in Psychology and Spanish and dreams of becoming a sports psychologist!