The Best Interview Tips You’ve (N)ever Heard Of:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

With the Fall 2011 semester rapidly coming to a close, Spring 2012 is right around the corner, and with that comes the looming necessity of securing a summer, or even spring, internship or job. There’s no doubt that adding an internship or job to your resume can be a major advantage come graduation, but actually getting that desired position can be less of a guarantee. A strong interview, however, can land you that position in an instant, and a successful one begins long before stepping foot in the office. After scouring the web for the best interview tips I could find, I stumbled across several that I had never heard of before. No one can deny that the entirety of the interview process can be nerve-wracking and intimidating, but these tips- brought to you by the experts at Target– will no doubt mitigate those feelings.

1. Build Your Resume and Power Stories
According to Target.com’s “Interview Tips”, “Just as your resume shares your skills and abilities, ‘power stories’ are 60-second examples you can share with an interviewer that demonstrate your strengths.” To develop both your resume and power stories, reflect on experiences that show:

• Motivation and passion
  • Initiative
  • Persuasiveness
  • Good judgment
  • Analytical and organizational skills
  • Strong communication skills
  • Leadership and responsibility

Develop a few stories that demonstrate some of these attributes. Each story should begin by explaining the situation you were faced with, followed by what actions you took and what the result was. Practicing these stories for friends and family before the interview will give you a good idea of which stories you feel the most enthusiastic about.

2. Create Your 60-Second Commercial
Your “60-second” commercial is basically a summary to be shared with the interviewer about why you’re excited for, and interested in the position. Included in the summary is:

• Thanking them for the interview.
  • Telling them why you’re excited about the position and the company.
  • List four or five reasons why you’re an ideal candidate for the position.
  • Tell them you look forward to being able to share more in the course of the interview.

Here’s an example:
“I want to thank you for having me here for the interview today. I’m excited about this opportunity. Target is such a dynamic, innovative company. I know with my ability to lead teams, my strong communication and analytical skills, and my passion for retail, I can make a big contribution as a ________.”
3. Prepare Questions
This may seem like a somewhat obvious tip, but having questions prepared for the interviewer not only shows your interest in the company, but it also demonstrates your desire to know more about your potential role. Asking questions -after the interview, of course- shows a passion and curiosity that interviewers love. Here’s a list of potential questions:

• What are the duties and responsibilities of the position?
  • What does a typical day look like in the position?
  • What do you like best about the position? Least?
  • How would you describe the culture of the company?
  • What kind of training might I get for this position?

The Interview
Always arrive 15 minutes early to the interview. Smile and make eye contact with the interviewer throughout, as body language can play an important role in conveying confidence and reliability. Obviously dressing the part is crucial, so wear a clean and pressed suit and shirt in order to make the best impression. When you’re speaking, do so with enthusiasm, especially when sharing “power stories” or summarizing your best professional qualities.
After the interview, don’t forget to send a thank-you note to the interviewer within the next 48 hours. Also, don’t forget to review the interview itself. Ask yourself:

• What reaction did the interviewer seem to have to me?
  • What was my overall impression of the interview?
  • What would I do differently? What would I do the same?
  • What things did I say or do that seemed to impress the interviewer?
  • What is my impression of the job? Can I see myself doing it?
  • What was my impression of the company and can I see myself there?

These questions will not only help you gauge your interest in the company after the interview, but will also help you prepare for additional interviews down the road.

Anna is a Sophomore at the University of Colorado at Boulder studying Journalism in the News-Editorial track. She is very involved in her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, where she is curerntly the Vice President of Development. Also within the Greek Community, Anna writes for The Odyssey, a Greek newspaper. With a spare moment, Anna loves capturing the beauty of everyday through photography, embarking on mini adventures, skiing the peaks, and sipping chai. Nothing relaxes her more than tying on her running shoes and exploring the mountain trails and soaking up Colorado's sun. A recent addition to the Her Campus Team, she is excited for what is to come!