The Battle Continues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The University of Colorado Boulder, notoriously known for the annual “smoke out” of the Norlin Quad on April 20th, is continuing it’s efforts to stop the gathering that has brought 10,000 people onto campus for this “smokers holiday.”

Despite arguments that marijuana is legal in the state of Colorado, it is an illegal substance on CU Campus, and is not legal for public consumption. “This isn’t about marijuana or drug laws,” he said. “It’s about not disrupting the important work of a world-class university,” CU Boulder Chancellor Phil DiStefano wrote in a statement issued to students and dignified members, “We are committed to ending the unwelcome 4/20 gathering on the CU-Boulder campus, and this year’s approach represents the continuance of a multi-year plan to achieve that end.”

For the second year in a row, University of Colorado Boulder will be shut down on Saturday, April 20th 2013 to the public and is requiring students to have their Buff One student identification cards in order to get on campus. Although, different from last year’s attempt, the covering of Norlin Quad with fish-smelling fertilizer to deter guests, Norlin Quad will be completely shut down.

This is no joke collegiates, those who aren’t affiliated with CU and don’t have a guest pass will be ticketed for trespassing, which could mean punishment of up to six months in jail and a $750 fine.

So remember to keep your Buff One on you, and reroute your day around the closure of Norlin Quad. 

Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.