This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Going back to school after winter break can be disorienting for everyone. After long days of sleeping in, attempting Pinterest crafts, and catching up on various Netflix series’ the transition back to the academic mindset can be extremely overwhelming. Here are a few of the major focuses when adjusting into second semester…

Weather Shock
Since many CU students are from out of state, readapting to Colorado weather can be a major game changer. Students from California enjoyed 70-degree temperatures all month and lots of students spent time vacationing in Mexico or sun tanning with grandpa somewhere tropical. It’s a harsh reality checking your weather app and acknowledging that you go to school in the Artic. After all, nothing says welcome back to college like stepping out of the airport and into 9-degree temperatures!

Back to Independence
If any of you spent your break like I did, you accomplished nothing productive and had your mom hand feed you while you watched Gossip Girl reruns on the couch. Then after watching the final episode she stopped folding your laundry to supply the wine and ice cream while you cried in denial. Unfortunately, all this lazy luxury has come to an end. Now it’s back to wandering the grocery store on your own, attempting your laundry, and paying utility bills.

A new chance to raise that GPA
You (And your parents) weren’t overly impressed by your final grades last semester, but a New Year makes for new habits, right? Spring semester means fresh classes, professors, and possibilities of getting that 4.0 you’ve always wanted. That means it’s your chance to crack down and stop skipping those 8A.M. recitations or using social media to procrastinate on assignments!

The three-week break was much needed after an exhausting semester and long week of finals, but are you ready for the readjustment period that follows? Time to get it together for round two, welcome back my friends.

Natasha is sophomore at University of Colorado Boulder and is majoring in Journalism. She is a Southern California native learning to live in the snow, and is addicted to dirty chais. She is the Social Chair of Alpha Phi, and believes life is better in a pair of stilettoes. She one day aspires to work in the fashion magazine industry, or public relations.