This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

The new Outer Banks season finally came out after too long of a wait, but the reviews are mixed, to say the least. So, here’s my opinion (the only one you should listen to).

I guess I should start with the plot: the treasure hunt across the globe. They even travel to South America for their final endeavor. Although, the cast and crew only filmed in Barbados and North Carolina for all the shots. The pogues, along with John B’s dad (yes, he’s alive), compete against Mr. Singh, some rich guy with ancestors connected to the money, for the riches of El Dorado. I’ve got to admit, the constant search for money has lost its appeal to me. From the Royal Merchant to Tanny’s cross, all the way to El Dorado has gotten pretty repetitive. It seems the writers are only prepared for scripts about treasure hunts. However, I must admit they do a pretty good job with character development.

JJ and Kiara’s relationship or situationship is finally confirmed through my favorite kiss of the show. Saving her from wilderness camp? Being cheered out by her pessimistic cabin mates? And a final confession of love? It was the perfect way for them to admit what we’ve all known for so long. Even though JJ can be an ass, he’s got a special place in my heart — and now Kie’s too!

John B. and Sarah, on the other hand… drive me crazy, and not in a good way. I mean, she literally cheated on him, with Topper, of all people. Yet, John B. takes her back after one good deed. It doesn’t sit right with me. Not to mention their marriage, something about 17-year-olds being committed like that seems a little off. Although they are loved by many OBX fans, I can’t help but think they are the most boring couple.

Pope and Cleo have really grown on me this season. At first, I wasn’t too happy about adding a new character to the mix, but Cleo actually fits in pretty well. Her relationship with Pope’s family is absolutely adorable. Plus, Pope’s glow-up is ridiculous. He was always cute, but now the TikTok edits are rolling in, and I can’t help being in love with him.

Speaking of glow-ups, Topper’s shaved head era has made fans spin into a frenzy of edits and thirsty tweets. That bad-boy persona definitely speaks to the fanbase. However, and I know I’ll get flamed for this, I’m just not that into him. The only bad boy I need in my life is JJ. 

Overall, the show is starting to take a Riverdale-esque decline, but it was honestly worth the watch. I would definitely recommend some herbal assistance to enjoy it to the fullest, but you didn’t hear that from me. 

Kate Paxton

CU Boulder '26

Kate Paxton is a writer and member of Her Campus Colorado University Boulder. She writes articles covering a variety of topics like wellness, college life, and films. Previously, she was an editor for her high school's newspaper The Mustang, where she oversaw the comedy section and contributed articles. She is currently a sophomore at CU Boulder, majoring in psychology with a pre-health emphasis. In her free time, she enjoys spending quality time with friends and family, binge watching sitcoms, and therapeutically cleaning her room.