Career

Amazing Programs to Get Involved In Within Leeds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Your first year at Leeds will seem overwhelming as there are so many opportunities that the business school offers freshmen. Here are some amazing programs I was involved in/wish I was involved in through the Leeds School of Business. 

Peer 2 Peer Mentoring

This program is catered towards making your first year at CU Boulder and Leeds successful. Once you have decided to attend CU Boulder in Leeds, apply for this ASAP. You will be paired with a mentor over the summer who is an upperclassman and help you navigate all the challenging parts of transitioning to college. My mentor is still my good friend and I have learned so much from her both in regards to college and professional development. 

Women’s Empowerment Initiative/ BE Tech

If you’re looking for tangible scholarships, the Women’s Empowerment Initiative and BE Tech provide you just that. The WEI is a $1,000 scholarship and a 1.5 credit course where speakers come to network, and you get professional development within. It is also an amazing group of women to be involved with. BE Tech is for those wanting to pair business with technology. This provides you a $2,000 scholarship, $1,000/year, and requires more time in exchange for more money. This program works closely with the WEI in advancement for women within the business and technology world. Also, if you reside in Cheyenne Arapaho, you get cute little bee lights for being in the BE Tech program. 

Dean’s Student Cabinet

This is a program I wish I would have known about my first semester of college. This is an opportunity to work with driven people to make tangible changes within the Leeds School of Business. You work in different committees to focus your efforts on a certain aspect of the business school. You also get a stipend in exchange for your work. 

Leed’s Honors and Scholars

These two programs offered by Leeds are for those who decide that you are attending CU Boulder in late fall or early winter. Leed’s Honors is based on grades and GPA, and in order to get admitted, you need about a 3.85 high school GPA and 33 ACT/ 1443 SAT. Leed’s Scholar takes a different approach as it looks mostly at what you did in high school. You also need to interview for this program in late February. 

Delta Sigma Pi and AK Psi

One of the most beneficial aspects of Leeds School of Business is the business fraternities: Delta Sigma Pi and AK Psi. Delta Sigma Pi requires a GPA and is only for business majors. This is great for those who want to expand their network within Leeds, as they offer only business-focused events. They have professional events where they host speakers, community service events where they give back to the Boulder community, brother/social events where brothers can get to know one another through fun activities such as hiking, pumpkin carving, etc. Ak Psi is great if you don’t want to be involved in actual greek life at CU Boulder. Ak Psi is very social and also expands your network to people in other majors. They host similar events but the focus is less on business and more on all of the majors. Both business fraternities are great and offer unique opportunities. Reach out to their Instagrams and ask what they look for on a resume and then make it a focus of your summer to add that before the fall rush. 

Women in Business

Women in Business is a great club to be involved in as they foster an inclusive environment for women in business with leaders who care about helping college students get ahead. They offer resume workshops, speakers, and team bonding activities. 

CESR Fellows

If social responsibility in business is something you are passionate about, this group is amazing to be a part of. They send out emails with job opportunities within socially responsible businesses as well as speaker events and networking opportunities. 

Leeds RAP 

If living with all business students and taking classes within your dorm sounds like something you would be interested in, the Leeds RAP is an amazing opportunity for this. It is hosted in Cheyenne Arapaho and provides speakers within your own dorm and many of your first-year classes within classrooms less than a five-minute walk from your room. In order to get priority into this program, reach out to the people in charge to show your interest and list Cheyenne Arapaho as number one on your housing application. 

Leeds Program Leader

This program is an amazing opportunity for first-years to get involved with their community. As a Leeds Program Leader, you get to plan fun events within the business dorms including, but not limited to, succulent planting, Easter baskets, Halloween goodie bags, mug brownies, and wellness kits. 

Regardless of which program you are involved in within Leeds, you are bound to find one that fits. At such a large university, meeting people isn’t the easiest task, so getting involved in as many clubs as you can with school is a great way to meet people and improve your college experience as well as your resume. Trust me that employers will want to see a hefty resume when applying for internships and jobs.

Olivia McKeen

CU Boulder '24

Olivia is a contributing writer for Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a freshman majoring in Marketing and hoping to get a certificate in social responsibility and ethics. In her free time, she enjoys going on adventures, going on hikes, and hanging out with friends and loved ones.
Sko Buffs!