This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I am ALWAYS third-wheeling. I have gone on many, many dates. Here’s the kick. They’re never mine. I find myself tagging along with my friends, cousins, and one time I was even forced to chaperone my little brother’s date. (Yes, we both hated that.) Though it is awkward and sometimes dreadful to tag along on dates that aren’t yours, there are ways to make it more tolerable and less weird for everyone. With Valentine’s Day coming up, some of us will likely have to tag along for one reason or another, so here is some advice to make your night at least semi-enjoyable.

Make a game out of it.

We’re starting off with the weirdest one. Find ways to entertain yourself. Count the number of red shirts you see, how many people order Sprite, how many times your friends call each other pet names. This shifts your focus from the fact that you’re third-wheeling to whatever it is you’re searching for. My personal go-to is counting how many times people say “like” in between their phrases because it is my biggest pet peeve, but you can make it what you would like. 

Offer to be the photographer.

This one doesn’t work if you’re going to dinner with your couple friends but for many activities, it allows you to pass time and often, your friends gain real, candid, pictures from their Valentine’s date. It seems weird, but everyone ends up loving this idea.

Join in on the conversation.

If you sit there awkwardly, odds are no one will have a good time. Your friends will feel awkward, and so will you. Instead, talk to them and get to know your friend’s boo. It becomes easier as time flows, and you will likely end up not feeling like a third wheel.

Establish a plan beforehand.

If you have to tag along, it’s probably for a reason and not just because you want to. Establishing a plan and what you and your friend are both hoping for that night to look like makes things go much smoother. 

Make time to also hang out with your friend beforehand.

This one is crucial. Hanging out with your friend before the time to third wheel comes along allows the time spent with a couple to feel less like a job and more like you’re just hanging out with friends.

Honestly, third-wheeling is weird. It is not something we look forward to but these are only a few of the steps you can take to make it feel less weird. Valentine’s Day looks different for everyone, but be sure to make the best of it no matter what it looks like for you. And eat lots of candy.

Noelia Salazar

CU Boulder '23

Noelia is majoring in international affairs with a minor in communications. She is passionate about social change and bringing light to topics not talked about enough. She loves books, makeup, and coffee. In her free time, she's probably rewatching Gilmore Girls.