This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

A couple of helpful tips for vegetarians during Thanksgiving

As a vegetarian, I don’t have the same excitement to sit down and feast on Thanksgiving that carnivore’s have. There’s no such thing as a “Turkey Day” for me. However, I’ve found several different ways to make thanksgiving a little bit more flavorful for us vegetarians.

1. Foods that are already on the table: don’t forget there probably already is some food for you! Personally, I enjoy:
    1. Mashed potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes, especially with cheese, always hit the spot for me. I definitely recommend making them from scratch rather than from a box.
    2. Roasted Vegetables: This is an obvious choice, but a good one. Roasted veggies are so wholesome to me and also a great healthy option!
    3. Cranberry Sauce: I know it’s not for everyone, but I LOVE cranberry sauce. It’s almost like a dessert that’s not a dessert.
    4. Green Bean Casserole: If you’ve never heard of green bean casserole, you’re missing out. This delicious side dish combines green beans and french fried onions to create a one of a kind dish that will make you forget the turkey even exists.
    5. Mac and Cheese: Finally, my absolute favorite is Mac and Cheese, especially when it’s made right in a baking dish. I could honestly let Mac and Cheese be the only dish I eat at Thanksgiving!
  1. Some yummy dishes: if you’re looking for an even bigger feast, try some of these recipes from bonappetit.com:
    1. Stuffing Biscuits: This simple dish gives the hearty flavors of stuffing without the meat. All it takes are the right spices!
    2. Sweet Potato Tian: These are soaked in a warm spicy brown butter sauce that enhances the sweet potatoes beyond belief.
    3. Spinach and Feta Tarte Soleil: A perfect and impressive appetizer that everyone (even the meat-eaters) will enjoy.
  1. Fake meat: show up with some classic fake meat products. Personally, I love the Tofurky brand. Here’s some of my favorites:
    1. Tofurky Plant-Based Kielbasa Sausage: I eat these all the time, even when it’s not Thanksgiving. I recommend cutting them into small rounds and frying them in a pan. They are absolutely delicious.
    2. Tofurky Vegetarian Roast: If you absolutely need the taste of Turkey. Tofurky makes this amazing alternative.

Finally, if all else fails, there will always be pie.

Pumpkin Pie Side
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Catharine Billings

CU Boulder '24

My name is Cate Billings, and I am studying Creative Technology and Design.