Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image
Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

A Letter to the Women Who Have Made Me a Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

I consider myself one of the blessed ones, for since I was brought into this world, strong, intelligent, hard-working women have been in my back corner supporting me, inspiring me, and insisting that I push forward. To be a young girl in a giant mischievous world, for me, was full of adventure and curiosity, and for that, I am forever grateful to the women who have watered my roots, sure that one day I will blossom into everything I am meant to be. To them, I wrote this letter to reflect on the power they’ve each provided me with.

To the ladies who have taught me everything;

I believe that somehow I have grown to be a successful young woman on my way to doing great things. I believe that this was made possible by the gifts I have received in the past 21 years of your presence and wisdom. From the women in my family; my mom, grandma, Godmother, auntie, and boyfriend’s mom; to the women I spend all of my time with including my teachers, professors, and coworkers, all of you have formed my reality and I am so grateful for the woman I have become. 

More than anything, it is so beautiful to me how each of you have similar women in your own lives who have made you so independently amazing. Perhaps it was your Mama, who every single night, without fail, would tuck you into bed and pray with you. It was there in those moments that I learned how to dream, like the world was already mine and how to trust that the Sky will always protect me and provide me strength. Like mine, perhaps your mother taught you how to forgive, how to be soft, and how to always see the good in not only hard times, but in people as well. 

Maybe each of you had a fabulous Grandma, whose most beautiful parts are within you. I bet you have been told so many stories about when she was growing up, those stories for me that included the lives of my family that I never got to meet — I hold these so close to my heart, for my children to someday hear about them all. Like mine, perhaps your Grandma too instilled in you honest work and perseverance.

my grandmother and her mother (1950s)/mi abuela y su madre

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of you, too, had a Godmother that has influenced you as a woman, as a strong and proud woman. Perhaps they were the most confident person you knew because they have such a way of making their point be known, understood, and respected by others. A bit of sass to tie it all together, like mine has, and I was mesmerized by the power of owning my words, opinions, and actions. 

Surely some of you also had Aunties that were always so much fun to be around. If there’s one thing about them, it’s that they are going to laugh, and that taught you to be calm, easy-going, and happy. Whenever I think of mine, I can hear her laugh in my head and, to me, that is so beautiful because if there’s one thing about life, it’s hilarious. Most of the time, their loudest laughs come after they tell their own joke; the way I can simply make a joke about anything and have a nice little giggle too keeps me sane, and I know I got that from my auntie.

I wonder if it was the mother of the man you fell in love with who inspired you to become such a great woman. If she was anything like my boyfriend’s mom, she must have had the kindest heart, despite being through so much. She must have inspired you to be loving at all times of the day, as she worked so hard to take care of so many people and things, all with so much grace, gratitude, and strength. I have always thought about the man I would someday love and how he would only be a good man if an amazing woman was raising him. It turns out I was right; the man I love is so wonderful, and that is because he was raised by the kind of woman that inspires, supports, and encourages, all with so much love, warmth, and acceptance. 

For sure, some of you have been inspired to be resilient women by some of your female coworkers and managers along your professional journey. The sheer feminine power my managers had when they saw me walk in and asked me to apply for a job, it was like the stars told them to take a chance on me, and to the fabulous match it was, it was impeccable hiring! The short time I have together with my coworkers has shown me what it means to be a great leader and team player. To be a woman in the world of “professionalism” is a whole universe that only half of the population can understand, and coming into this universe, mine, like your coworkers, have taught me so much about how to handle it and how to carry myself. Confidence is something I’ve always had, but it was alongside these ladies that I learned how to own it and not change my mind. 

Certainly, you all had teachers or professors that also influenced everything you are. Everything that I have thought about, every conclusion I have come to, has in some way been influenced by those who have educated me and their intelligence. My English teachers, thank you for believing in the way I articulate words, for showing me how to do so better and more polished. I live for my ideas that make it onto paper because my papers have always been supported. My Spanish teachers, thank you for allowing me the space and opportunity to find my tongue and for trusting that the passion I have for words would be more powerful in two languages, because it is. My history and politics professors, you all have the willpower and intellectual strength of my dreams. You understand the world in such complex and unique ways, then teach in a way that supports empathy and revolution, lessons that everyone needs. My mind is captivated by the ways you all think and have navigated through society as resilient, passion-driven women yourselves; every lecture, reading, and graded assignment shows that, to you all, I am forever grateful. 

Regardless of how you became a woman that has positively impacted me, the point is that you have. Imagine all the women you still inspire, in different ways, and how they will go on and inspire more — it’s a beautiful reality of women becoming more of themselves.

Thank you for allowing me to become more of me. 

With love always,

Gabriela 

una carta a las mujeres que me hicieron mujer

Me considero una de las bendecidas, porque desde que llegué a este mundo, mujeres fuertes, inteligentes y trabajadoras han estado en mi rincón trasero apoyándome, inspirándome e insistiendo en que siga adelante. Ser una niña en un mundo gigante y travieso, para mí, estaba lleno de aventura y curiosidad, y por eso, estaré eternamente agradecida con las mujeres que han regado mis raíces, segura de que algún día florecerá en todo lo que estoy destinado. ser. A ellos les escribí esta carta para reflexionar sobre el poder que cada uno me ha dado. 

A las señoras que me han enseñado todo;

Creo que de alguna manera me he convertido en una joven exitosa en camino a hacer grandes cosas. Creo que esto fue posible gracias a los dones que he recibido en los últimos 21 años de tu presencia y sabiduría. De las mujeres de mi familia; mi mamá, abuela, madrina, tía y mamá del novio; a las mujeres con las que paso todo mi tiempo, incluyendo a mis maestras, profesoras y compañeras de trabajo, todas ustedes han formado mi realidad y estoy muy agradecida por la mujer en la que me he convertido.

Más que nada, es tan hermoso para mí cómo cada uno de ustedes tiene mujeres similares en sus propias vidas que los han hecho tan independientemente asombrosos. Tal vez era tu Mamá, que todas las noches, sin falta, te arropaba en la cama y oraba contigo. Fue allí en esos momentos que aprendí a soñar, como si el mundo ya fuera mío ya confiar en que el Cielo siempre me protegerá y me dará fuerzas. Como a mí, tal vez tu madre te enseñó a perdonar, a ser suave y a ver siempre lo bueno no solo en los momentos difíciles, sino también en las personas.

mi mama y mi abuela; mujeres asombrosas en Italia (2019)

Tal vez cada uno de ustedes tuvo una abuela fabulosa, cuyas partes más hermosas están dentro de ustedes. Apuesto a que le han contado tantas historias sobre cuando ella estaba creciendo, esas historias para mí que incluían la vida de mi familia que nunca llegué a conocer. Las tengo tan cerca de mi corazón, para que mis hijos algún día escuchen sobre ellas. Como la mía, quizás tu abuela también te inculcó el trabajo honesto y la constancia.

No me extrañaría que algunas de vosotras también tuvieseis una madrina que os haya influido como mujer, como mujer fuerte y orgullosa. Tal vez eran las personas más seguras que conocías porque tienen una manera de hacer que los demás conozcan, entiendan y respeten su punto de vista. Un poco de descaro para unirlo todo, como lo ha hecho el mío, y me cautivó el poder de ser dueño de mis palabras, opiniones y acciones.

Seguramente algunos de ustedes también tuvieron tías que siempre fueron muy divertidas. Si hay algo en ellos es que se van a reír y eso te enseñó a ser tranquilo, despreocupado y feliz. Cada vez que pienso en la mía, puedo escuchar su risa en mi cabeza y, para mí, eso es tan hermoso porque si hay una cosa en la vida, es divertida. La mayoría de las veces, sus risas más fuertes vienen después de que cuentan su propia broma; la forma en que puedo simplemente hacer una broma sobre cualquier cosa y tener una pequeña risita también me mantiene cuerdo, y sé que lo obtuve de mi tía.

Me pregunto si fue la madre del hombre del que te enamoraste quién te inspiró a convertirte en una mujer tan grandiosa. Si ella era como la madre de mi novio, debe haber tenido el corazón más amable, a pesar de haber pasado por tanto. Ella debe haberse inspirado a ser amorosa en todo momento del día, ya que trabajó muy duro para cuidar de tantas personas y cosas, todo con tanta gracia, gratitud y fuerza. Siempre he pensado en el hombre que algún día amaría y en cómo solo sería un buen hombre si una mujer increíble lo criara. Resulta que tenía razón; el hombre que amo es tan maravilloso, y eso se debe a que fue criado por el tipo de mujer que inspira, apoya y alienta, todo con mucho amor, calidez y aceptación.

Sin duda, algunas de ustedes se han sentido inspiradas a ser mujeres resilientes por algunas de sus compañeras de trabajo y jefas a lo largo de su trayectoria profesional. El puro poder femenino que tenían mis gerentes cuando me vieron entrar y me pidieron que aplicará para un trabajo, fue como si las estrellas les dijeran que se arriesgaron conmigo, y para la combinación fabulosa que fue, ¡fue una contratación impecable! El poco tiempo que tengo junto a mis compañeros de trabajo me ha demostrado lo que significa ser un gran líder y jugador de equipo. Ser mujer en el mundo del profesionalismo es todo un universo que solo la mitad de la población puede entender, y llegando a este universo, la mía, al igual que tus compañeras de trabajo, me han enseñado mucho sobre cómo manejarlo y cómo llevar yo mismo. La confianza es algo que siempre he tenido, pero fue junto a estas mujeres que aprendí a ser dueña y no cambiar de mi opinión.

Ciertamente, todos ustedes tuvieron maestros o profesores que también influyeron en todo lo que son. Todo lo que he pensado, cada conclusión a la que he llegado, ha sido de alguna manera influida por quienes me han educado y su inteligencia. Mis maestros de inglés, gracias por creer en la manera en que articuló las palabras, por mostrarme cómo hacerlo mejor y más pulido. Vivo por mis ideas que llegan al papel porque mis papeles siempre han sido respaldados. Mis profesores de español, gracias por permitirme el espacio y la oportunidad de encontrar mi idioma y por confiar en que la pasión que tengo por las palabras sería más poderosa en dos idiomas, porque así es. Mis profesores de historia y de política, todos ustedes tienen la fuerza de voluntad y la fuerza intelectual de mis sueños. Entiendes el mundo de maneras tan complejas y únicas, luego enseñas de una manera que apoya la empatía y la revolución, lecciones que todos necesitan. Mi mente está cautivada por las formas en que ustedes piensan y han navegado a través de la sociedad como mujeres resistentes e impulsadas por la pasión; cada conferencia, lectura y tarea calificada muestra que, a todos ustedes, les estaré eternamente agradecido.

Independientemente de cómo te convertiste en una mujer que me ha impactado positivamente, el punto es que lo has hecho. Imagina a todas las mujeres a las que todavía inspiras, de diferentes maneras, y cómo seguirán e inspirarán a más: es una hermosa realidad de mujeres que se vuelven más ellas mismas. 

Gracias por permitirme ser más como yo.

Siempre con amor,

Gabriela

Gabriela Guevara

CU Boulder '23

I am passionate about happiness and the freedom for people to feel love. As I am working towards a degree in Political Science and Ethnic Studies, & eventually law, I hope to inspire people to reflect, learn, and spread light. Thank you for reading my words! xoxo