Five Things I Learned From Going Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Though I had been thinking about it for some time before, I didn’t decide to go fully vegetarian until my freshman year of college. It ended up being one of the best decisions I have personally made for my body and my mind, and taught me so much about myself and my relationship with food.

1. I missed meat at first. A LOT.

The transition to a plant-based diet is not always easy. Before I went vegetarian, so much of my diet revolved around meat–a lot more than I realized. I ate meat several times a day, every day, without even thinking about it. When I completely shifted my diet to one without meat with no preparation or warning, I found myself craving many of my favorite foods that contained meat. 

2. There are SO MANY alternative sources of protein.

Before I went completely vegetarian, I was unaware of the countless other forms of protein that exist as alternatives to meat. From tofu to eggs to peanut butter, there’s something for everyone to enjoy that doesn’t require the consumption of meat.

3. Meat alternatives are getting really close to the real thing in terms of taste.

Though I’m not personally the biggest fan of imitation meat, many alternatives on the market are able to imitate the taste and texture of meat almost exactly. Brands such as Impossible and Gardein provide plant-based meat alternatives for sausage, beef, and chicken in forms that resemble meat in their cooking ability. Some people can’t even tell the difference between the plant-based option and the real thing, which makes the transition to a meat-free diet much easier. They even have “chicken” nuggets and tenders, which are tried and approved by vegetarians everywhere. 

4. I started eating healthier and getting more creative with my meals.

While this may not be as true for everyone, I found myself dedicating more time out of my week to meal planning and shopping for more produce, sources of protein, and things that were fresh. Though this was challenging with a meal plan and living in the dorms, I tried to get a lot of my protein and nutrients from salads, vegetable-based burritos, and tofu stir fry from the dining halls. One of my roommates is also vegetarian, and we often plan dinners that include a plethora of vegetables and protein now that we’re living off campus. Not eating meat has allowed me to step out of my food comfort zone and create a diet revolving more around nuts and vegetables.

5. Cutting out meat can cause you to feel a change in your mood and physical, as well as mental, health.

Though this is different for everyone and some people may not be able to cut meat out of their diet for various reasons, I have experienced a significant change in how I feel physically and mentally. I noticed that I have been physically happier and more energetic since officially making the switch to a plant-based diet, and I feel good mentally about my decision to do so. Though I didn’t initially switch to vegetarianism for ethical reasons alone, I now better understand how being vegetarian may be beneficial for some people, and I don’t plan on going back to a diet including meat in the foreseeable future. 

What if you’re not ready for the full commitment to a meat-free diet?

If you’re vegetarian-curious but not ready to cut meat out of your diet entirely, there’s a couple other options!

Many people are pescatarians, meaning they cut out meat but still eat seafood. This is great for people who regularly eat seafood and still want to hold onto something sort of similar to meat. 

Some people also gradually transition out of eating meat and into eating plant-based. This is ideal for many, because it doesn’t require the cold-turkey quitting, and allows you to still eat foods with meat when you want to, like turkey on Thanksgiving or ham on Christmas.

Overall, deciding to go vegetarian was one of the best decisions I have personally made for my mind and body. I have learned so much about both myself and the transition, all of which has proven to be incredibly valuable. It’s important to remember that everyone is completely different in their preferences and diets, and that’s okay! Incorporating a bit of plant-based diet into your own may help you to–as Subway says–eat fresh! 

Ashlie Polvogt

CU Boulder '25

Ashlie is a sophomore at CU Boulder from Golden, CO, studying Psychology and Sociology. She loves dogs, spending time with her friends, going to concerts, and meeting new people!