10 Songs Frats Need To Start Playing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Though I am not an avid partygoer, a rare occurrence for CU students, I happen to explore the Hill and go into a few fraternities on occasion. Every time I go to a frat party, there are a few key things that end up in my going out routine. I always 1: get some kind of sticky liquid spilled all over the side of me, 2: end up getting home later than expected or wanted, and 3: need to take the most steamy shower ever to get all of the frat air off of my body. But one thing that happens without fail every time is my disdain for the frat’s music choices. It always starts out with a few solid hits, ones that are universally played in frats. After the first 20 minutes, every song they play is like hot garbage, and my interest goes from 6/10 to 2/10. I thought I would share my ideal (but shortened) frat playlist in hopes that someone will see this and share it with frats all over the world. I think they need it. 

#1: “Telephone” – Lady Gaga feat. Beyoncé

If you’re going to play one out of this whole list, this better be the one. From the beat to the nostalgia of it all, this song is an easy 11/10. Plus, they are the most iconic duo; who could ask for better? 

#2: “Hotel Room Service” – Pitbull

This is my go-to “blast the speakers out of the car” song. For many college students, this song immediately creates a “hype” environment, involving lots of jumping and rapping. There is also an amazing remix on youtube that combines the song “Rasputin” by Boney M. and this song together. I highly recommend it. 

#3: “Hot In Here” – Nelly

This song really encapsulates the whole frat vibe, as it truly is hot in there. The chorus is a crowd favorite, and it is one that most everyone knows the words to. It is the perfect mood for a frat where it is a little risque but also a song you can dance to. 

#4: “Wasted” – Tiësto feat. Matthew Koma

Kind of a self-explanatory song. Just a solid song with a good beat, talking about people getting drunk, which is very fitting for the frat environment. 

#5: “Betty” – Yung Gravy 

Though not a very typical frat song, I think this one has a good beat and is a generally funny song. Yung Gravy is also a pretty iconic dude, so I have a feeling a lot of people would recognize this song. 

#6: “Moves Like Jagger” – Maroon 5 feat. Christina Aguilera

A true 2010s throwback. This song was played throughout middle school and high school for all of the 2000s babies. It is super easy to dance and sing along to, as many people have busted a move to this song for years. 

#7: “Starships” – Nicki Minaj

For the perfect summer “darty,” or day party, this song would be perfect. It oozes good summer feelings plus is very high on the dance-ability scale. You can also never go wrong with Nicki Minaj. 

#8: “Disturbia” – Rihanna

I have no idea why Rihanna is not playing at more frat parties. I personally think she owns dance music. This song is dance oriented with an underlying sexy tone. I think you could play any Rihanna song and it would be a hit. 

#9: “You Belong With Me” – Taylor Swift

For all of the frats listening, PLAY MORE TAYLOR. If you want girls to come to your frat and like being there, play Taylor. Especially older songs, they will be much appreciated and well-liked by the female population. 

#10: “Just Dance” – Lady Gaga feat. Colby O’Donis

The lyrics pretty much say it all, “just dance.” This song is timeless and will always get people on their feet. Again, Lady Gaga is always wanted at frat parties so there is no harm in playing a lot of her songs. 

All of these songs are 100% frat approved and 100% recommended by me. Not only are they all pretty well known and liked, but they foster the perfect environment for positive energy and getting partygoers up and moving. So, if you are a frat looking to improve your most likely dry playlist, or you’re someone who wants songs to play while getting ready or dancing in your room, these songs are for you. 

Katie Snell

CU Boulder '25

Katie is a sophomore at CU Boulder. She is majoring in environmental studies and minoring in sociology. She enjoys being outdoors, taking care of animals, and listening to music.