Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Reasons Why You Don’t Need a Boyfriend for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

For all you single ladies, Valentine’s Day can be the most depressing holiday of them all. It is like an optional holiday, and is unfair, for those ladies you cannot participate. However, it does not need to be. You don’t need a boyfriend for Valentine’s Day, and I can tell you why.

1. You don’t need a man to define you

Who wants to be told you can’t go to the party or hangout with your friends. You are your own person and should be able to do what you want without a man telling you what to be or what to do. Men are controlling, and women cannot be controlled.

women fists raised in air
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media

2. Boyfriends are time consuming.

I don’t know about you, but when juggling a sorority, clubs, going to the gym, homework, more homework, and having a social life, it’s hard to also have a boyfriend. Life, especially in college is so hectic, it is hard to manage your time, and then add in a boyfriend, pass!

Silver macbook by planner and flowers
Pexels / Alana Sousa

3. Wouldn’t you just rather stay in and drink wine?

Come on, having a boyfriend might be nice, but like how about wine? Personally, I would recommend Barefoot Cupcake wine, it is cheap and sweet, just like it should be. Another upside to this is that you could wear sweats and a t-shirt, which sound like a good move.

People holding up wine glasses
Photo by Scott Warman on Unsplash

4. Save the drama for your mama.

The amount of drama and arguing that couples do is very unnecessary. Now, I know that not every relationship is like this, but they all have some drama or situation that is irritating and not something that we deserve to go through.

Woman And Man Sitting On Brown Wooden Bench
Vera Arsic / Pexels

5. Compromise.

We deserve everything we want. There is no reason that you should have to settle for something less than that. Boys should be bowing down to us because us women deserve everything and thing we want. With our history, we deserve it all.

woman wearing red high heels with white socks that say girls rule
Pexels / CoWomen

6. He pays for, EVERYTHING.

Some people will not agree with me on this one, because we do deserve to be treated well. However, it is the best feeling in the world when you pay for things on your own. It is so empowering. Not to mention that he cannot use this against you or feel superior.

person holding money
Sharon McCutcheon

7. Why have one man to hold you down?

You are young. This is the time to be single and free, not be tied down to a man. College is the time to go wild and date all the different types of guys out there. You need to find out what your type is, and what it would be like hang out with this person 24/7.

Unsplash

8. Get a chance to know yourself before committing.

College is the time where most people really get to know themselves. It is where you finally live on your own and realize things about yourself you never knew. Having a boyfriend can delay that from happening because you have someone else to worry about now. It’s exhausting.

dark LED red heart
Pexels

9. It’s hard not to lose friends when getting tied down.

I know it’s tough to say, but more time with a boyfriend means less time with your friends. That is something that I see happen ALL THE TIME! It’s really inevitable to not piss off your friends and maybe even lose a few of them because a boyfriend calls for lots of valuable time and attention.

girl and friends posing
Photo by Adrienn from Pexels

10. When it is your time, you will get a boyfriend.

It might be sad being alone for Valentine’s Day, but it just isn’t your time. Why settle for a boy when one day you are going to meet someone so amazing that you will forget all this moment. So, go enjoy being single because one day, that will change, and you will wish you could be free again.

Love neon sign
Shaira Dela Peña on Unsplash

Belle Mead

CU Boulder '21

Belle Mead grew up in Manasquan, New Jersey, and for the past four years, attended at The University of Colorado Boulder. She majored in Journalism and minored in Creative Writing. Belle absolutely loves photography, fashion, and traveling. In the future, Belle aspires to write for Cosmopolitan or any lifestyle based magazine. She was also apart of the sorority, Alpha Chi Omega and the photography club at CU.