This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

We’ve been working hard for 12 weeks now and a refreshing two-day break is only a short time away! While we may not be taking big trips or even gathering in our usual extended family dinners this Thanksgiving, the holiday and all of its delicious traditions will carry on (hopefully for most of you). The holiday can sometimes be overshadowed by the “Christmas season,” but, this year, let’s take the time to view Thanksgiving in all of its American glory. Here are 10 reasons to be thankful for Thanksgiving 2020:

Quality Food

This was my first thought and I’m sure it was yours too. The food! Nothing can beat a home-cooked Thanksgiving dinner! My favorite is any type of pie that my mom takes out of the oven. Whether it’s apple, pumpkin, or cherry, they all taste like heaven! This year, I think I’m finally going to try to help. Cooking with family can really help bring everyone together; just don’t burn anything or you’ll be banned from ever entering the kitchen again!

Football & Marching Bands

While my family isn’t much into football, we always turn the game on after eating our Thanksgiving feast. I don’t even think we know why we do it at this point, maybe just to be like every other American family on this day, but it’s a kept tradition nonetheless. The real stars, in my opinion, are the marching band members. As a former band member myself, I always appreciate a good drum line and snazzy beat!

Skiing

Living in Colorado, how can the thought to go skiing on Thanksgiving not cross your mind? The slopes may not be covered in snow by this time of year, but they’re certainly open, and in 2020, that will not change. Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, and Loveland are all already open and Steamboat, Eldora, Vail, and Breckenridge are all scheduled to open before the holiday.

The Deals

Black Friday deals will start opening up around six PM on Thanksgiving Day and will continue throughout the weekend. Then, Cyber Monday will take over on the 30th. Get your fingers ready for some scrolling guys and prepare for a few screen refreshes while you try to get your hands on some holiday gifts and that outfit you’ve been eying!

Snowy Season

Yes, technically snow began in early September this year in Colorado, but we haven’t seen the best of winter yet. Thanksgiving starts off the best of Colorado’s snowy days so, I don’t know about you, but I’ll be getting out some snow shoes to enjoy the start of the 2020 snowy season!

Sleeping Like A Baby

All of the carbs that we will inevitably consume on Thanksgiving work to really make you tired. So, just like most years, expect one of the most fulfilling sleeps of your life to end the big day.

Family Time

While arguments over dinner are sometimes inevitable, especially with extended family, I always appreciate time with my parents, siblings, cousins, etc. We may not always get along, but, at the end of the night, we always leave happy having been able to see each other amid our crazy, hectic schedules.

No Gift-Giving

While we all love getting that “free” treat from our parents every Christmas, sometimes a giftless holiday is what we need. The stress of choosing gifts for others, and the sometimes-present awkwardness when receiving them, is nice to take a break from. Thanksgiving is not about giving tangible goods to anyone; it’s about being grateful for what we already have.

Momentary Peace

The world is a crazy place right now – the biggest understatement of the year, right?! Thanksgiving, though, tends to bring along a sense of peace and kindness in public (at least before six PM hits). We can’t just forget about all the wrong that is happening in the world, but maybe, at least for a few hours, we can have some peace in our homes and just enjoy a quiet time.

Expressing Gratitude

Ultimately, Thanksgiving is about giving thanks. This year, I am giving thanks for the health of my family, for my ability to go home for the holidays, and for all of the good news that has been spreading recently. Expressing gratitude is something we can do on a daily basis to help ground ourselves in positivity and Thanksgiving is a day full of this practice. What a wonderful way to finish off this rollercoaster month!

Thanksgiving is more important than ever this year, so take advantage of this peaceful day. Take the day to do what makes you feel the happiest and be sure to enjoy that great night’s sleep. Happy Holidays!

Renee is a new member of Her Campus CU Boulder. She is a freshman majoring in Integrative Physiology and following the pre-medicine track. When she’s not busy dancing away her problems at her desk, she enjoys snacking on açai bowls, hiking in the mountains, and rewatching The Office.
Sko Buffs!