What Are These New Pretty Little Liars Shows All About?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Last summer, we all thought we’d finally said goodbye to the one and only Pretty Little Liars. A series that—if you’re like me—has followed and haunted you all the way through middle and high school and then into college. There were definitely some hints at a potential spinoff series in the finale. But, the spinoff that’s actually happening is a little bit different than the one the finale seemed to suggest (which I personally think is for the better).

Freeform recently announced they are making a PLL spinoff series based on Sara Shepard’s two-book series, The Perfectionists. Shepard, who also authored the original PLL book series, wrote The Perfectionists duology as an entirely separate story. However, there are definitely thematic parallels between the two series. A group of girls with lots of secrets and a high school murder in a wealthy suburban area? Hmm, sounds familiar.

Shepard’s book, The Perfectionists, follows five girls who barely know each other but all share a hatred of Nolan Hotchkiss, a boy who goes to their high school. One day in class, they all come up with a plan together just for fun to murder Nolan—the perfect kill. It’s all a joke, until Nolan turns up dead, murdered in the exact way that the girls had planned. The five girls begin to forge a friendship as they try to navigate who the true killer is and why they’re trying to frame the girls for Nolan’s death. The second book, The Good Girls, continues the story and brings it all full circle in a way I found to be Sara Shepard’s most successful book ending of all the books of hers I’ve read.

So why is this considered a spinoff of Pretty Little Liars when it seems like a new plot? Well, the new TV show writers are going to bring back PLL stars Sasha Pieterse and Janel Parrish! It looks like the show will in some way incorporate Sasha’s character Alison and Janel’s character Mona into this new series. The show will take place after where PLL left off, but the show will take place in a new setting, based on the books. This means that Ali and Mona will be in their twenties or thirties at the time of The Perfectionists, so I’m interested to see how the show will combine the fan favorite characters and the new story and setting together!

ABC has also announced they will be adapting another one of Shepard’s books into a new TV series. The Heiresses will star Shay Mitchell, who played main character Emily in PLL. However, this show will not be a PLL spinoff like The Perfectionists. The book itself explores a similar premise to Shepard’s other two aforementioned series: a rich family becomes embroiled in a scandal when a relative jumps out of a building. As rumors fly and the family starts receiving threats, they must uncover if the death was suicide or a murder… and who will be next?

Both new shows sound super promising for loyal PLL fans, regardless of their relation to the PLL universe. I would highly suggest you check out Shepard’s books before the shows premiere within the next few years! They have the fun, yet chilling mood of the early PLL books and episodes that are sure to keep you entertained during the wait time.

Read them before you watch!

Kelly Stone

Cornell '20

Kelly is a Senior Communication major at Cornell University with minors in Creative Writing and Information Science. She loves reading, writing, fashion, and her dogs.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell