The Ultimate Black Friday Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Everyone’s looking forward to Thanksgiving break—family, friends, great food, football, and most importantly, the greatest shopping deals of the year. While some dread the “mob-scene” associated with Black Friday, others count down the days. Here are five quick tips for a successful Black Friday that will make you look forward to shopping’s biggest holiday every year!

#1 Make a Game Plan

Know that one pair of boots that you just MUST have? Make sure to prioritize the items that you are really, truly, absolutely dying for. Waiting to go to the store that sells them later in the day might leave you going home disappointed because someone else woke up bright and early to snag ‘em. On a similar note, make sure you know the store hours of all the stores you plan to hit on this glorious day. Many stores extend their hours for the holiday, and you definitely want to maximize your shopping time by knowing exactly when each store is open. This will also help you be sure to arrive to those doorbusters bright and early!

#2 Read up!

Don’t just wake up on the morning after Thanksgiving, your belly still full of Turkey and sweet potato pie, and go off to the mall to wander from store to store. Plan ahead! Do your research and find out exactly which stores are having exactly which sales. So many of our favorite stores sell the same items, so on Black Friday when all these stores are selling great items at great prices, we must make sure the prices were getting are truly the greatest of them all. Advance research will also allow you to make the most of your day by hitting the stores with the best sales first, in order to ensure that you don’t miss out on the best merch out there, for the lowest prices, before its all been snatched up.

#3 Don’t get too excited

Even though the prices are fantastic and those boots are fabulous, consider how often you’re really going to wear them. Try thinking about how much you would be willing to pay for them if they weren’t on sale. Sometimes items appear much cheaper than they really are simply because we see the red discount tag. Its better to spend more on something that you will actually wear than cheaper items that you don’t really need, that will ultimately just end up collecting dust in the back of your closet.

#4 Don’t Forget about Cyber Monday

Make sure not empty your piggy banks just yet. In just three short days will be the next biggest shopping day of the year—and this time you don’t even have to leave your house! You don’t want cyber Monday to come and realize that you overdid it on Black Friday and now cannot reap the benefits of this online shopping extravaganza! So be cautious and save some extra funds for the great online deals coming your way.

#5 Lighten Up!

Shopping should be a fun and enjoyable experience. Some of us think of Black Friday and the image of ladies being trampled and attacked with stilettos pops into our heads. Make sure not to let the stress overwhelm you. So gather up a group of friends (or even your mom and sisters—sticking with the Thanksgiving family spirit) and head to the mall for fun-filled day of deals and steals.

Best of Luck Ladies! May the shopping forces be with you!