Single on Valentine’s Day? Go on a Friend Date!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Want an awesome Valentine’s date? Forget boys. Grab a friend and do everything you’ve always wanted to do – without the risk of romantic awkwardness. 

Dress up. You’ll feel cute and flirty on a night where you might otherwise feel completely down in the dumps. Plus it makes the night feel like an event, not a letdown.

Go for a romantic dinner. Since you’re not on a real date, there’s no need to break your budget on Stella’s or Madeline’s. Instead, swipe your meal card at Okenshields, where they’re having a Surf & Turf Night with all the romantic classics. Dessert is an absolute must. There’s no need to look delicate and cute on this date. If you want to make a sundae or have more icing than cake on your plate, DO IT.

Exchange cheesy cards and presents. Buy each other roses, chocolates, and of course, Hallmark cards. Have a competition to see who outdid the other in their level of cheesiness.

Cuddle up. After dinner, out will come the hand-holding couples taking their post-dinner romantic walks. But you don’t have to call it a night. Get in your pajamas and watch a movie with your date – preferably one of the comfortable and silly variety. Nothing too romantic. Nothing too serious. A cartoon, a comedy, or an action flick will fit the bill just fine.

Reflect on the positive. The best thing about a friend date? Spending V-Day with your friends is a great way to remind you of all of the things that you do have in your life, rather than what you don’t. And that’s a refreshing take on this holiday!

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.