The Lazy Girl’s Guide to Grocery Shopping (On A Budget)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

If there’s anything a majority of college students have in common it’s this: we’re all broke, hungry, and admittedly a little lazy. If you’re not feeling like spending an hour making food (and even more time cleaning up the mess you’ll inevitably make) or spending 80% of your money on the same Taste of Thai meal you ordered two days ago, don’t stress! Here are some low budget options that require little to no effort to make and can easily be found at the local Wegmans.

1. Garden Lites Muffins

Why they’re good: These are perfect for part of your breakfast or a quick snack. All you have to do is stick them in the microwave for 30 seconds. They’re high in fiber to keep you full and taste like chocolate heaven, but they also contain zucchini to help you get your veggie fix.

Flavors: Chocolate Chip and Blueberry

Price: $3.59 for a box of 4

2. Ensure Nutrition Shakes

Why they’re good: They make for an easy on the go breakfast on those days you’re running late to class or just don’t feel like making breakfast. They also come packed with nutrients to help you start your day off right. It’s like drinking Nesquik or a YooHoo but with added vitamins and minerals.

Flavors: Vanilla, Strawberry, and Dark Chocolate

Price: $8.49 for a 6-pack

4. Tyson Chicken Nuggets

Why they’re good: All you have to do is stick them in the microwave or toaster oven for a little bit, and you’re all set! Also, who doesn’t like chicken nuggets?

Other Available Options: Tyson Dino Nuggets and Tyson Grilled Nuggets

(Note: If you don’t eat meat, Morning Star makes a veggie option for a similar price)

Price: $4.99 for a 2 lb. bag

4. Marie Callender’s Chicken Pot Pie

Why it’s good: This meal tastes like it’s home-cooked, but all you have to do is stick it in the microwave for eight minutes. It also comes in its own little container, so you won’t even need to wash any dishes once you’re done!

Other Available Flavors: This brand makes a wide variety of products from mac and cheese bowls to turkey dinners to lasagna, all for reasonable prices.

Price: $7.49 for a box of 6

5. Reser’s Main St. Bistro Individual Mashed Potatoes

Why they’re good: These things are life-changing. They come in single serving containers, and all you have to do is put the cup in the microwave for a minute and stir. They make really good sides and are quick and hassle free.

Price: $4.29 for a 4-pack

6. Smart Ones Dinners

Why they’re good: These meals are super easy to prepare and are actually decent portion sizes. Unlike other microwaveable dinners, you won’t feel like you’re eating some weird mystery meat. Everything tastes clean and fresh, and there are always vegetables included to give you a nice well-balanced meal.

Other Available Flavors: This brand has many breakfast and dinner options.

Price: 2 for $4

Hopefully some of these options will help you out the next time you’re hungry and feeling nice and lazy! Happy Eating!

Sophomore studying Food Science at Cornell University.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell