Lauren Myers-Marion ’97: The Entrepreneur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

On first glance Lauren Myers-Marion ’97 might seem unintimidating, but after talking to her for just a few minutes, it becomes quite clear that this modern Wonder Woman has quite a few accomplishments on her shelf!
After graduating from the College of Industrial and Labor Relations in 1997, Lauren set out into the world, unsure of whether her life path would lead her to law school or someplace unexpected. She moved to California for a short time, encouraged by her parents to figure out what exactly she wanted to do with her life. Lauren, a decided people person from the start, took a job with a high-end boutique and bought a few nice suits, knowing that they might come in handy in the near future. (Writer’s note: every collegiette™ should have at least one “power suit” in her closet at all times.) In no time at all, Lauren discovered that Human Resources was definitely the route she wanted to go.

Lauren interviewed for a few HR job, as well as one recruiting job. In the end, she decided to take the recruiting job because it offered her more responsibility and a stronger financial package, which she says is important for a young, unmarried woman in the world. Through connections at her new job, Lauren became good friends with an NFL agent. (Writer’s note: Networking is a great way for collegiettes™ to make connections, which could help them out down the line.) Lauren offered to help her friend if he ever needed anything, and he took her up on her offer, asking her to lend a second pair of eyes to different documents or to make phone calls to certain people. The final thing he asked Lauren to do was help a few players with marketing, and this was where she found her start.

Lauren runs her own business today, the Marion Myers Group, Inc., which was founded in 2000. It’s a full-service consulting firm, which focuses on Human Resources and Sports Marketing. Lauren works with professional athletes, guiding them when they want to create foundations or when they eventually graduate from the realm of professional sports and enter the working world. Her business has “evolved in the past couple of years because sports is evolving,” according to Lauren. This job allows her to wear two hats; one for Human Resources, which is where she got her start, and one for sports development consulting. One of her main career goals is “to find that niche and find where I can add value.”

An inspiration to collegiettes™, Lauren is not only a full-time working woman, but also full-time mom. According to Lauren, her family is one of the most important things in her life. Her parents are her role models, and her children always come first. So what’s it like to be super mom? Lauren said. “It’s one of those things, where you are on call 24/7. From a balanced perspective, it’s always a journey.” So what’s her advice for handling all of the little adventures that could pop up along the way? “Roll with it. This is the situation today, how am I going to make this work?”

Lauren also keeps Cornell in a close place to her heart, serving as an elected member of the alumni council and attending different networking and alumni events in both Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia, where she lives. She also visits her alma mater for large events like homecoming or Reunion Weekend. Lauren described those events as being “really cool to see the older alums who are so enthusiastic and their love for Cornell is stronger and stronger.”

Just the Facts:
What activities were you into when you were in college? Cornell Concert Commission, CUPB, Cornell Minority Law Society, RA Assistant Hall Director , Campus Store

Current Activities/Hobbies: reading or doing something with the kids (something kid friendly) sports, football!

If you could change one thing about Cornell right when you were here, what would it be? “I wouldn’t have changed anything because I really think that I enjoyed my time thoroughly on campus and I really tried to live from a perspective of no regrets. I would have studied harder because now that I’m out of school I’m like that is not as challenging as I thought it was then. I just didn’t have any work experience or work references that made certain classes challenging, but I wouldn’t have changed anything.”

Have you read the list of 161 Things? Have you done any of them? “There are still a lot of things that I would have loved to have done on that list and I feel like every freshman should get that list as soon as they register and come to Cornell. Now the list is more popular and I remember senior year we were like we need to do this and that and it’s second semester, so unless I was a student I wouldn’t be able to do. “

Favorite quote? “People are who they are. They’ll do what they do. It is what it is. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Control what you can.” – Lauren’s father

What is your advice for girls at Cornell? “Follow your heart and follow your passions, but also listen to your mind because the mix of the two will take you down the path you should be going down. … There is no straight path. There will be peaks and valleys, ups and downs, some curves, but still stay focused on keeping your eyes on the prize on what you want to achieve. Don’t be afraid to say I don’t want to do this anymore, I want to change. Or this is what I want to do. It may not be any one else’s expectations but it’s what I want to do. Follow whatever dreams you have because it is going to work out how it is supposed to work out when it is all said and done.”

What is your proudest accomplishment? “Personally: my children. Professionally: working for myself.”

What was your favorite class at Cornell? “Seminar with Prof. Salvatore in ILR. It was my favorite class because it was a small seminar class with only 10 people and Prof. Salvatore is a tough grader, but he is amazingly brilliant and very warm. … He challenges you to raise that bar academically with yourself in a way that you want to do more and learn more. “

What has been one of the most exciting things you’ve ever done? “I get to go to games all the time. I get to take people to games — that’s really cool. I have been able to take my parents to games and see a different side of football which was cool.”

Any advice to leave the readers with? “Challenge yourself to put yourself in uncomfortable situations.” 

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.