This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that college students are always busy. Whether it’s running out of class so that you can grab lunch in your 15 minute break or subconsciously adding references to your class material (shoutout to my Jane Austen class!) in your articles about being busy in college, we’ve all been there at one point or another. At the end of the day, it’s important to keep things in perspective and make sure that you’re taking care of yourself. And when life feels like a bit too much, don’t beat yourself up for needing to take a break, no matter how short, to laugh and breathe.

That being said, I’d like to walk you through a few of my experiences with the extreme overwhelming nature of all that is college in the hopes that this mood is universally relatable to my fellow Cornell students.

When you have thirty minutes of free time in your day that you don’t have to spend studying… 

… so you immediately begin to commit yourself to more clubs and events.

When your friend asks how your day was…

…and you say “busy” and they say “same.”

When you finish a prelim…

… only to have another one to start studying for.

When you get that second helping of Cornell Dairy ice cream from the Dairy Bar…

…because you deserve it after today and everyday.

College is a lot sometimes, but you can do it! Fall break is around the corner, so take that time to let yourself not be busy for once. Look at some fun gifs, read a Jane Austen novel, and treat yourself to some ice cream!

Kelly Stone

Cornell '20

Kelly is a Senior Communication major at Cornell University with minors in Creative Writing and Information Science. She loves reading, writing, fashion, and her dogs.
Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.