How To Register to Vote and Why It’s Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

As college students, we tend to have a lot of opinions. However, voicing those opinions can sometimes be difficult. Voting is one way you can voice your opinion, and you will be able to make a difference. College students can have a lot of influence when it comes to elections, but college students tend to vote less than other demographic groups. In order for our voices to be heard, it’s important for us to show up.

Registering to vote isn’t difficult, and there are many ways to do it. How you register can depends on your state, so it’s important to look up that information before you register. Generally, registering can be done online, in person or by mail. You can visit vote.org to find out more information about registering to vote in your state. Your state’s voting website should have links to register to vote, to check if you are already registered, and to apply for an absentee ballot. It takes less than five minutes do do any of these things, and it’s very easy to use. This site also lets you know where to go on election day and when, so you will never miss an election! No matter the way you register, it’s very easy and doesn’t take much time.

Absentee ballots are also an important part of voting for college students. A lot of college students go to college outside of their home state. Some choose to register in their home state, while others choose to register in the state in which they go to college. If you register in your home state, it’s important to sign up to get an absentee ballot. You can do this through vote.org, or you can fill out a form when you register to vote. The ballot should be mailed to you, and you mail it back once you fill it out. It’s so easy, you don’t even have to leave your house!

No matter what you decide to do, be informed about your options. It can feel like your votes don’t matter, but especially in today’s world where the political climate is more turbulent than it has been in a while, every vote counts. The voices of young people are important, because young people are setting the stage for the future of our world. Registering to vote is the first step to getting involved in making a change, and whether or not you decide to vote, after registering, you will always have the option.

Information Science Major, Communications and Spanish Minor
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell