How to Handle the Awkward Run-In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

You’re walking along. And then- you see them. A chance encounter that makes your stomach jolt, your hands sweat, and your teeth clench. You know what’s coming before you even make eye-contact. An awkward run-in. It’s gonna happen. And it’s gonna last way longer than it really should.

Awkward encounters happen to everyone. “I just look down and think ‘Oh God,’” undergrad Chelsea admits. And of course, there’s one time-tested avoidance strategy that works for everyone. “Pretend you’re texting someone,” Amanda suggests. Or even “Oh! Someone just called me! At this exact moment! What a coincidence!” But after so many of these coincidences, people might start to suspect your act. So here’s a how-to guide on how to deal with these awkward encounters…head on.

The Orientation Friend
You know that girl that you met your first day of school? The one who was in your orientation group? The one you met at Club Fest? The one you ate every meal with? Well, she became your best friend. For two days. And then you realized that you had pretty much nothing in common, other than the fact that you both go to Cornell. So what do you do when you run into each other now? After spending days in constant contact, you both met new people, people who you actually liked and wanted to spend time with, and kind of mutually ditched each other.

And that’s exactly what you should keep in mind when you pass them on by, with nothing more than a smile and a wave if you’re feeling friendly.

The Classmate
In class you maintain the customary two empty seats between yourself and your peers. And every week you sit in the same awkward array, with the same group of people kept at a respectful distance from your personal bubble. But they are your partners in crime. You watch each other Facebook stalk during lectures. Their doodles are true works of art. And that one to the left always has the nicest shoes.

These mysterious and yet constant fixtures in your daily schedule should be recognized, but don’t sweat a lengthy conversation. Just like in class, fix them with a grin and maybe a “What’s up?” But don’t expect or wait for a response.

The Bathroom Mate
These interactions are more intimate and personal than any romantic relationship. They see you at your very worst.  Zero makeup. Morning breath. And they see you right after you get out of the shower. A time when you certainly don’t look rosy and refreshed.

When you see these bathroom buddies you should stop and chat. Since they’re your floor mates, they’re harder to avoid on a given day than any of the other prospects. Ask them about the test they had that day, or whether they heard the thumping loud bass the night before at midnight. But keep it short and sweet. You’re sure to see them as you’re straightening your hair later that night anyway.

The Almost Boyfriend
You flirted with him for days. Weeks even. Maybe even went out on a date or two. But then you realized something. He’s a dud. You began the phase out. The only thing left to be done to minimize awkwardness is to make sure that you never see him again. Shouldn’t be hard on a large college campus, right? Wrong. You see him EVERYWHERE.

In this case, and only in this case, should you feel no shame in using the cell phone call/texting fake-out. But if you are feeling truly brave, and enough time has passed, strike up a conversation. Don’t reference the fact that you once were or could have been an item (i.e. “I remember you told me about your roommate at dinner that time” or “Remember that crazy party where we first met?”). Keep it to surface topics, like how his classes are going and the stress of exams. And then smoothly bow out, leaving him thinking how cool you are.

Awkward encounters happen. But they don’t have to be awkward. Remember that you’re not expected to be best friends with everyone you meet. Plus, all of these run-ins will ultimately make you feel like the most popular person on campus. Always a good feeling- never awkward!

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.