HC Cornell Netflix Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Rejoice everyone, a new wave of great Netflix originals has come onto the scene! Here, we are ranking the top five Netflix original series that have had a recent release. So, unfortunately, Orange is the New Black and other old favorites are not eligible for the HC Cornell Netflix Awards.

Clarification: We are defining “recent release” as a show that has had at least one season released in 2017.

5. Bill Nye Saves the World

This show gives us major nostalgia to when your 4th grade science teacher would bring in a VCR player and a bulky TV on one of those black carts. Also, we can’t forget when everyone in the class would chant “Bill Bill Bill Bill” along with the theme song. But more importantly, Bill Nye is reaching out to young adults about how we can fight climate change deniers and anti-vaxxers with actual science. Not to mention he’s a Cornell Alum, so we do have some bias toward Mr. Bill Nye!

4.  13 Reasons Why

When it was first released, 13 Reasons Why had everyone buzzing about Hannah Baker and Clay Jensen. The show deals with the difficult issue of suicide in a very raw manner, and that’s definitely something to be applauded. But, we couldn’t put 13 Reasons Why higher on this list, as it has the possibility to reiterate the narrative that love can cure mental illness. Also, the series can be very triggering to some and does not handle portraying the thoughts of a person at risk of suicide. Overall, 13 Reasons Why has a very powerful message, which landed it number four on this list.

If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts reach out for medical care or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255  

3.  Black Mirror

Black Mirror is a modern day anthology that peers into some of the problems of today’s society by presenting outlandish, but possible, scenarios. Some have called it a modern-day Twilight Zone, and this show definitely has an episode or storyline for everyone. The versatility of the series makes it a great binge watch or go to when there’s nothing else to watch.

2. GirlBoss

The show based on the life of NastyGal founder is highly addictive with its great  rags-to-riches plot. The main character, Sophia, is highly relatable to anyone, as it shows a flawed character who wants to break out of the mold society has set for many. Not only is it relevant, Sophia’s antics and struggles are hilarious and will have you laughing for hours. This show is a definite binge watch that we would highly recommend.  

1. Dear White People

Dear White People has landed at number one on our HC Cornell Netflix list. The show based on the indie movie of the same name brings light to the subject of institutionalized racism on college campuses. It shows the pros and cons of certain approaches to dealing with these  issues without feeling like an after school special. Dear White People is a show that can resonate with everyone, no matter what your background is. Ultimately, any show that can accurately portray the experiences of people of color at an elite institution, such as Cornell, is something that should be praised.

Hi all! I am a sophomore government major at Cornell with a concentration in American politics. I am really passionate about the constitution, astronomy, dance, and animals. I am also a member of the Beta Xi chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma. 
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell