diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Dos and Don’ts for Career Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Happy recruitment season! It’s that time of the year again. Here are some tips before going to the career fair:

DO: Make sure you are dressed correctly.

Be sure that you are aware of the dress code. Always dress up rather than dress down. Your appearances are what recruiters will look at first.

Credit: TheTrendSpotter

DON’T: Wear tight and revealing clothes.

This one is pretty self explanatory.

DO: Make sure you have extra copies of your resume.

You are going to want to make sure that the recruiters remember you! Not all companies will take your resume, but make sure you are prepared in case they do.

DON’T: Forget a pen and paper to write down notes.

Ask the recruiter for their contact information and write down notes on what they say. This will help you in the recruitment process and allow you to reach out to them afterward.

DO: Keep in touch with the people you meet.

E-mail the recruiters with thank you notes and ask any questions you may have about the company and position.

DON’T: Only take the free swag and leave.

This is extremely disrespectful to the recruiters and the companies. If they offer, then you may take any free swag.

DO: Be yourself!

You are there to find the right position for you. You’re going to kill it!

Nicole Nagura

Cornell '20

Junior at Cornell University. She is majoring in Industrial and Labor Relations
Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.