The Best Musicals You’ve Never Heard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

If you’re a big fan of musicals like me, you’re always looking for a new soundtrack to enjoy. Here are some musicals you’ve probably never heard of but might just be your new obsession.

1. Big Fish

This musical is based on the popular 2003 movie of the same name and the 1998 book Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace. The story is whimsical and fans of Norbert Leo Butz can enjoy his amazing performance on the soundtrack.

Songs to check out: “Time Stops” and “Be the Hero”

2. Dr. Horrible’s Sing Along Blog

Not only does this internet exclusive short musical feature the impeccable talents of Neil Patrick Harris, Felicia Day and Nathan Fillion, it’s also hilarious! The songs are catchy and filled with jokes, and best of all, you can watch the whole thing on YouTube.

Songs to check out: “My Eyes” and “Brand New Day”

3. First Date

First Date has quickly become one of my favorite musicals to sing along with in the car. The musical tells the story of a blind date, and the soundtrack has incredible performances from Zachary Levi (Flynn Rider in Tangled) and Krysta Rodriguez.

Songs to check out: “First Impressions,” “Safer” and “In Love With You”

4. The Beautiful Game

This is the one musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber that you’ve probably never heard of, but it’s pretty cool. It’s about a local soccer team during The Troubles in Northern Ireland in 1968. The songs have a distinctly Irish feel, and the history incorporated into the story is really interesting.

Songs to check out: “Our Kind of Love” and “Let Us Love In Peace”

5. 13: The Musical

Admittedly the plot to this musical sounds kind of ridiculous, but I promise most of the songs are excellent. Ariana Grande was actually in the original cast of the Broadway production of this musical in 2008. Jason Robert Brown is an amazing composer, so the album is worth a listen.

Songs to check out: “The Lamest Place in the World,” “What It Means to Be a Friend” and “If That’s What It Is”

Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell