April Ryan at Cornell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

“It’s 2018, and we’re still fighting for freedom.” These were the poignant words of April Ryan in her talk at Cornell University on September 20. She’s one of the boldest and most passionate reporters out there, brave enough to ask the president in an open conference this year, “Mr. President, are you racist?”

April Ryan is a journalist, author, and one of only three African Americans to have been on the board of the White House Correspondents’ Association. Her blunt question to the president was ignored and later condemned by many. Yet, she was able to provide us with a convincing reason behind her question:

“We’re told that the press is the enemy of the people—but the press represents the people. If you tell me it’s written in the constitution [freedom of the press], I will believe in it and will stand up for it. The freedom of the press means speaking and questioning without resent. Suppression of the press begins a dictatorship. And I have a responsibility to ask intelligent and real questions.”

Ryan was headstrong about her role as a “reporter asking difficult questions inside the chaos and confusion of the Trump White House.” She talked about how reporters were adjusting to the new normal and how she was resisting.

“I am now under file. I’m the only White House correspondent with a target on my head. My freedom is being challenged. People are trying to silence me, but I’m not giving up. I am still going to ask my questions because it’s not just about me—it’s about everyone.”

Ryan’s talk was more than interesting to me – it was life-changing. She brought the controversies about inequality that exist in the US into the light, going beyond statistics and charts. I was listening to an account of a real person who was discriminated against and treated unfairly in the White House. Her unyielding mindset to an oppressive authority and her views about inequality were mesmerizing, providing me with a fuller picture of the problems that persist in our society today. I have genuine respect and admiration for her courage to stand up for the press and fight against inequality for all of us. It’s all about being involved, either directly or indirectly, in activities that will lead to a better and brighter future.

There are many resources available that can used to provide a deeper understanding about these issues, like the website for Cornell’s Center for the Study of Inequality. There are also many student organizations you can become involved in to combat inequality such as Amnesty International at Cornell, the Alexander Hamilton Society, Future Political Leaders of America, International Justice Mission Cornell, and Project LETS.

So, take action. Get involved. At Cornell, begin working to make change for the greater good.

Kylie Youk

Cornell '20

Junior at Cornell University interested in lifestyle journalism and reporting about social issues. Hobbies include tree climbing, ping pong, badminton, and singing. Loves anything related to pink, lofi hip hop, and chihuahuas ;) Hoping to use her position at Her Campus to get students more involved in fostering a collective spirit at Cornell.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell