5 Winter Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Winter is almost here, which means it’s time for puffy winter jackets, fuzzy socks and hot chocolate. If you’ve never experienced a Cornell winter before, it’s beautiful, but also SUPER COLD! Here are a few ways to get you geared up for the Ithaca snow.

1. Winter jackets

You don’t HAVE to buy a Canada Goose jacket, but a Cornell winter definitely calls for a super warm winter jacket (extra points if it’s fleece-lined!). If your winter jacket reaches your ankles, you can wear your pajamas to class without anyone knowing!

2. Snow boots and wool socks

I like Bean Boots, because they’re waterproof, warm AND they look good. They also look super cute with thick, wool socks. Investing in a sturdy, warm pair of snow boots is essential, especially if you’re walking up the Slope every day.

3. Fleece lined leggings

Fleece lined leggings are super comfortable to wear on their own or to layer under jeans!

4. Starbucks holiday drinks

Starbucks Red Cups are back again on November 1st. With a range of seasonal drinks like the Eggnog Latte and Peppermint Hot Chocolate, we can’t wait to welcome the holiday season!

5. A good book

For those days during which you just want to stay in your room curled up in a bed, a good book is a must! Personally, I think Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy is a perfect winter read. It seems strange, but reading about the bleak Russian winter setting during winter really works.

Even through the blistering cold, the gorgeous sight of the Cornell campus covered with snow makes the winter worth it. Stay warm!

Mahima is a Sophomore Economics major. In her free time, she likes reading, writing and hanging out with friends.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell