5 Ways to Be Productive When You’re in a Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

A productivity slump? In this gorgeous weather? It’s more likely than you think.

Prelim season is upon us, and while we try our hardest to stay above water, push through or keep grinding, inevitably we all hit it: the slump.

The slump is usually the time when you lose motivation, whether it’s because you’re stressed, got rejected from something (or someone), or are just feeling burned out. It happens to the best of us. And while it’s nice to hear the words “It’s okay, it’ll get better,” it’s not helpful. Here are some ways to get back on track when you feel yourself slipping into a slump.

1. Make your bed

I know, who still makes their bed? I feel you – it seems pointless when you wake up to remake something that you’re going to mess up again when you come back to your room for a nap. While it seems insignificant to many of us, it’s actually a good way to start your day. Think of it as a small victory. The first productive thing you do that day can spark a productive attitude for the rest of it. When I don’t make my bed, I definitely feel more off-kilter and less productive than when I remember to make it. It’s relatively easy to do, and it makes your room seem cleaner! All I see are wins.

2. Go to class

The philosophy of this piece of advice is similar to the previous one. I know, sometimes getting to class seems atrocious, especially when it’s on the other side of campus at 8:40 AM, but it’s only for your benefit. Going to class can be another small victory for you that day; you don’t even have to really pay attention in class. Just show up! Even if you have no idea what your orgo professor is lecturing about, some type of knowledge will lodge itself into your brain. You’ll feel better and proud of yourself for not skipping.

3. Leave your room

We’ve all heard this piece of advice: don’t study in your room. If you’re like me, you rolled your eyes and continued to study in your dorm room anyway. Which is fine, except when you’re in a slump. Suddenly your bed looks very appealing, even more so than usual. How do you minimize napping (and crying if you’re like me)? Go outside!

Yup, try and study somewhere that’s not your room. If you’re not a fan of leaving the dorm area, study in whatever study lounges or communal lounges they have available. Libraries are always a good place. If you prefer a certain ambiance, CTB and Starbucks are good alternatives. EHub in Collegetown is also available, Duffield is open – really the possibilities are endless. And if you really want to catch that vitamin D, you can study outside. The campus offers so many different options for outside seating, and natural light also helps keep you more alert and focused on your material.

4. Maintain the trifecta

The trifecta contains the three basic things everyone should take care of when he or she is in a slump: sleep + water + food. It’s extremely difficult to stay motivated and actively work to get out of a slump if your primary needs are not met. I know what you’re thinking:

“Sleep? I don’t know her.”

“Food? You mean Doritos?”

“Coffee is made with water, so that counts, right?”

It’s hard to maintain a decent sleep schedule when you’re trying to study for prelims, go to E-board meetings, participate in a lab, work a job, go to practice, etc. However, one of the reasons people get into slumps is because they’ve exhausted themselves. While doctors recommend 7-8 hours of sleep (my dream), try for at least 5-6 if you can. Or if you do sleep less one day, try to make it up the next night. Drink water! I know coffee is great, I love it too, but water is super important for your body to not feel so sluggish. Plus, it makes your skin beau-ti-ful! Be sure to eat. I know it can get hectic scheduling time to visit a dining hall, but if you really can’t make it, try packing snacks. Apples or bananas from when you did go to the dining hall or granola bars or fruit snacks if you can afford them – anything small that will help you stay concentrated on your work and not your rumbling tummy.

5. Study buddy

Sometimes the slump doesn’t really let you root for yourself. When that happens, you need outside support. That’s where your buddies come in. Whether it’s your roommate, your best friend or the kid you still next to in CS, grab someone and plan a study time and date. It’s surprisingly easier to get work done when people around you are also working. Mutual suffering brings out the friendship bracelets. Make sure the person who studies with you is someone who will motivate you and not distract you. Having a friend to study with is great, because they can be your personal hype man when you feel a bit down and disappointed in your work. And of course, returning the favor also feels good.

Junior at Cornell University majoring in Human Development, minoring in Spanish and PAM. Enjoys chocolate, netflix, and naps.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell