5 Perfect Dorm Room Plants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Plants are a super cool way to decorate your dorm room for spring, but not all plants are cut out for the dorm life. Here are some low maintenance plants that will liven up your room.

1. Bamboo

Bamboo is a plant that grows in low light, so you can add it to your desk as a nice decoration without fear it’ll die. Bamboo doesn’t even have to be planted in soil to grow – it can actually grow in anything, even a container with just water! It’s the perfect plant for your dorm because it’s cute, hardy and grows quickly.

2. Philodendron

Philodendrons might not be the most exciting looking plants, but they’re extraordinarily easy to care for, making them perfect for a dorm. Though they prefer growing in bright light, they can grow in low light as well. Even better, they can survive if you forget to water them a couple of times. Plus there are a bunch of varieties, so you’re sure to find one that suits you.

3. Aloe Vera

Aloe Vera is another plant that doesn’t like too much sun, so it’s great for your dark dorm room. Plus, it’s a great at-home remedy for burns and other skin irritations. I planted aloe seeds last semester, and my plants are still going strong!

4. African Violet

Growing flowers in your dorm room doesn’t have to be impossible! African violets are gorgeous, tiny flowers that will fit perfectly next to your window. They thrive on indirect sunlight (the light that comes through your window should be perfect) and need only enough water to make their soil slightly moist. They might be a bit more work than the other plants, but they’ll be worth it!

5. ZZ Plant

If you constantly struggle with keeping your plants alive, this is the one for you. The ZZ plant can grow in basically any light conditions, including just fluorescent light, and it can survive for long stretches of time without any water (though this obviously isn’t optimal!).

Having plants in your dorm room doesn’t just add to your decor. Plants can help purify your air, keep you energized and improve your mood. So before exam season hits, get yourself a new plant!

Asian Studies major who enjoys horseback riding, crochet, singing, and musical theater. Passionate about public service and addressing economic inequality and women's, LGBTQ+ and minority rights.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell