3 Healthy Snacks You’ve Never Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

So it’s February, and all the New Year’s dedication that you had to create “A Better You” is beginning to wear off. You intend to eat healthfully, but after a while, eating another apple or more baby carrots just doesn’t seem appealing anymore. Here are some ways to reinvent classic snacks, which will help you get excited about your food again and keep your motivation going.

1. Frozen Fruit
Switch up your usual fruity snack by eating them frozen. Frozen fruit is also a great alternative to other frozen treats with lots of added sugar. Joyce ’15 says, “I got the idea of freezing grapes from my mom. She used to freeze bananas, too. Then I forgot about it until I got to college!”

This technique is suitable for a lot of fruits, from berries to bananas. FYI: if you’re going to be freezing bananas it is wise to peel them (and slice them, if you want) before putting them in the freezer. The texture of the fruit will change when frozen, so it will give you an entirely new experience.

2. Nori Chips
Nori (the seaweed used to make sushi) is both flavorful and  nutritious. Not only is nori very high in protein, but it is a great source of vitamins and minerals (including iodine, which is difficult to obtain from natural sources).

The following Nori Chip recipe is a healthier alternative to potato chips, and is extremely simple to make at home. You can find plain dried nori sheets in the Asian section of most supermarkets.If you don’t have access to a kitchen, Annie Chun’s Seaweed Snacks ($17.80 for a 12-pack from Amazon
or $2.49 per pack at Noyes Bear Necessities) come in roasted wasabi and roasted sesame flavors.

Ingredients
6 sheets of nori
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
Salt

Directions
1. Put a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush the nori with the sesame oil and sprinkle with salt. Put a single nori sheet in the pan and toast it until it shrinks up, about 15 seconds; turn it over and toast the other side for another 15 seconds.
2. Use scissors to cut the sheets into rectangular “chips.” Serve within a few hours.

(Source: How to Eat Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman)

3. Curried Nuts
Nuts are a good source of protein, fiber, and heart-healthy fat. But the flavored roasted nuts you find in stores are typically overloaded with sodium and sometimes sugar. You can spice things up at home by adding a little cinnamon or curry powder to raw nuts. Just remember to keep your portions under control when you’re munching, because nuts are relatively calorie-dense. This recipe is fairly simple:

Ingredients
1 cup unsalted nuts (cashews are my favorite)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. curry powder
Salt to taste

Directions
1. In a skillet, roast nuts on medium-high heat until they are just toasted (two minutes or so).
2. Remove skillet from heat, add the oil, and mix to coat.
3. Add the curry powder and salt stir throughout.

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.