The 3 Coolest Dorm Rooms on Campus (And How to Make Yours Look Like Theirs!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

After a day of strenuous classes and activities, there’s nothing better than coming back to a room that you feel at home in! It’s never too late to keep updating and adding to your room, so to give you some inspiration, here are some beautifully decorated dorms on campus:

1. Ariana ’15 – Cheery
Ariana’s was motivated to decorate her dorm because she wanted her personal space to be “cheery and happy”. She accomplished this by using a bright color scheme made up of her favorite colors – pink, teal, and white. She also keeps the walls from looking too barren by putting up seasonal wall decals.

Her favorite things about her room are also the things that make it uniquely hers – the string art she keeps on display and her bulletin board which is covered with postcards, drawings, and newspaper clippings.

2. Leighann ’13 – Girly
Between the pink, the flowers, and the dance poster, Leighann’s room is shamelessly girly – and that’s a wonderful thing. It’s wonderful because Leighann’s room matches her personality so perfectly. Leighann is a dancer herself so the ballet images are fitting:

When asked what inspired her room decorations she quickly answered, “I love flowers, so I have them everywhere.” Not only does she have actual flower wall decals, but she took some plain circle decals and arranged them into flower patterns. The curtains Leighann put up add another element of homeyness and individuality to the room.

3. Paige ’15 – Fun
Paige’s room is full of colorful and eclectic patterns. Paige’s room has floral bedding, a polka dotted pillow, and paisley organizers on the shelves. She also made the corkboard in her room more interesting by taping patterned wrapping paper over it.

Paige also added really personal touches with some family photos and a William and Kate flag (Paige confessed that she is “obsessed with the royals.”). Altogether, the exciting colors and patterns that make up Paige’s room leave her with a fun and cozy place to call home!

Tips for Decorating Your Own Room

1. Cover the walls. The barren white walls of most college dorm rooms can be kind of soulless. So use posters, wall decals, photos, or paintings to spice up the room and let a little bit of your individuality shine through. Just one poster can tell someone a lot about your interests and personal style.

2. Always be on the look-out. Paige says, “My mom started buying stuff when I was a junior in high school. I hadn’t even decided where I was going. She was just like, ‘Oh, you’re going to need this.’” Leighann advises, “Look out for free stuff.” You never know when you might stumble across something that would be a great addition to your room, so keep your eyes peeled and your mind open!

3. Have fun. Play with colors, patterns, and other fun details that will bring life to your room. College is that much easier when you actually enjoy the space you live in. “Don’t be afraid to personalize and make it someplace you’ll want to live for nine months,” says Ariana.

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.