Style

What Or Who To Dress Up As For Halloween When 2020 Is Already Spooky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

As we approach the later Fall and Winter months, many are brainstorming original ways to participate in traditional festivities that are low-risk for transmitting COVID-19. Although the CDC states typical trick-or-treating is a high-risk activity during the coronavirus emergency, they do list other ideas for how to celebrate Halloween this year. The state of Connecticut also released specific guidelines for how to celebrate Halloween in 2020, including hosting a virtual costume contest. 

So, put your thinking cap back on and use these categories as inspiration for what or who to dress up as this Halloween.

Literally Any Food Trend From The Past Few Months

Okay, so you may not be able to grab a handful of Skittles from your neighbor’s––I mean who does that anyway––but you can manifest those food vibes in your costume. Whether you are a Sourdough starter, banana bread, or focaccia with an elaborate design, you will make everyone else drool with your costume! Alternatively, you could just bake one of these items and binge-watch all of the Halloweentown movies. Both are safe!

The Best Way To Hang Out With People Socially Distant: Just Dress Up As Them

The Strategist lists multiple famous people you could dress up as this Halloween from singers Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion in “WAP,” Taylor Swift in “Cardigan,” Harry Styles in “Watermelon Sugar,” or Beyoncé in “Black Is King.”

You could also take a more political stance and dress up Dr. Fauci, RBG, or tennis champion Naomi Osaka who wore a mask reading “Breonna Taylor” during her match.

Remember Those Shows You Binge-Watched? SO Many Costume Ideas

Whether you are looking for a couples or group costume idea, the best way to start is to think back to those TV shows you binge-watched with slices of banana bread back in March. Some ideas are Cameron and Lauren from Love Is Blind, Claudia, Stacey, Dawn, Mary Anne, and Kristy From The Baby-Sitters Club, and Fabiola, Eleanor, and Devi from Never Have I Ever.

You could also keep it solo and go as Catherine from The Great, Rue from Euphoria, Victor from Love, Victor, Connell in Normal People or John B or Sarah from Outer Banks.

Trending Things We Can No Longer Survive Without

This is a friendly reminder to wear your mask! But also, there are so many items that have become super trendy whether out of necessity or boredom, and therefore are perfect costume ideas for 2020. The first one being a Zoom call, but also characters from Animal Crossing or popular Tik Toks. Similar to the previous idea, think back to how you spent your hours over the past months and dress up as that activity.

Draw From Those 2020 Experiences

For this category, I am thinking basic study abroad girl who was sent home in March, Zoom University student, or the 2020 Presidential election (however you want to interpret that one).

A lot has happened this year and consequently, there is a lot of material out there to draw inspiration from for your Halloween costume. But be respectful of how you represent 2020 because while a funny costume can break the anxiety we are all feeling right now, many current events are no laughing matter. Stay safe this Halloween, camels.

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.