This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Our HC writers take the time to review our latest survival kits from Her Campus HQ. Haircare is important to all of us, so it is no wonder so many of our favorite products relate to maintaining shiny, thick hair.  Enjoy! 

Conair miniPRO ½” Ceramic Flat Iron

“As I am studying abroad in Italy next semester, I often spend time between running to class, writing for Her Campus, and demystifying the Visa application process, pondering how I will be able to fit all of my belongings into one suitcase and a carry-on. I was ecstatic to have the opportunity to try out Conair’s mini flat iron, as I have used their products before and loved the results. This ½” flat iron is the perfect size for travel! Now I will have space for both my straightener and curling wand (I really need to step it up a notch from basic braids for the Italians). With short hair, styling tools often envelop my strands to the point of being useless, so having a smaller straightener is the perfect solution. The flat iron heats up fast and straightens my hair even faster 一 perfect for a college girl on the go! My only obstacle now is bringing enough plug converters so I can use my various hair styling tools while still being able to charge my phone and camera, because you know I will be taking many photos. Be warned though: a small flat iron can still reach high temperatures (speaking from experience).”

– Elizabeth Berry ’21

Batiste Dry Shampoo in “Blush” 

“Batiste dry shampoo in the blush fragrance is the ideal hair product for anyone who needs to freshen up quickly. After a long and tiresome day at work or school, Batiste is an instant revitalizing beauty essential that makes your hair pristine and polished without having to use water. Batiste will help you transition through all of your daily tasks and can transform a bad hair day into a glamorous one. The compact bottle size not only has a lovely pink design but is the perfect size to slip into a purse or bag. After spraying a hydrating mist of the dry shampoo onto the roots of your hair, you can let your beautiful Batiste hair down, and show the world your gorgeous, fresh style.”

– Piper Baine ’21

Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie

“I used the curl enhancing smoothie a couple of years ago. Shea Moisture products were pretty popular among people who had curly hair but it was also expensive so as a high school student I got a sample to see if it was worth my time. I remember not liking it very much because it wasn’t thick enough for my hair. Lightweight products usually just sit on top of my hair and do nothing. But they must have changed the formula because the consistency was much thicker and actually made a difference in my hair. I actually saw more curl definition after using it and plan to repurchase.”

– Elyce Afrifa ‘22

Primark Portable Charger

“The Primark portable charger exceeded my expectations. What I initially amounted to the allure of free stuff was quickly replaced with my appreciation for its practicality. I have used portable chargers in the past but their large sizes or inconvenient shapes never really served the purpose of being mobile. This portable charger is not only smaller than my phone but charges relatively quickly and holds a good amount of charge!”

– Fiona Williams ’22

Check out our Instagram for more of our thoughts and reviews on the survival kit products!

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.
Elyce Afrifa

Conn Coll '22

I was born and raised in Bronx, NY. I attended Herbert H Lehman High School where she participated in an acting club. I currently attend Connecticut College in New London, CT where I plans to major in biology and minor in theater. I am also on the Women's Rugby Team and apart of Wig and Candle the acting club here. I also am a big fan of many TV shows, Shameless, The Flash and Big Brother to name a few.
Fiona Williams

Conn Coll '23

First Year at Conn
Her Campus Conn Coll