This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This winter, and especially throughout winter break, I am excited to take advantage of some extra time and read some cozy books.  I love curling up with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate on a cold, snowy winter day and diving into an amazing story.  Here are some of my favorite books that I think are perfect to read during these upcoming winter months!

Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn

I read this book last December and can confidently say that it is the perfect holiday read.  It takes place in New York City leading up to Christmas and follows two teenagers, Dash and Lily, as they communicate via a red notebook in the Strand.  This is a super fast-paced, quick read that is full of holiday cheer and contains a sweet romance.  If you fall in love with these characters like I did, then I would recommend the mini-series on Netflix that just came out.  It is the perfect TV show to binge if you are looking for a cute holiday show.

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

Normally during the winter, I find myself reaching towards atmospheric historical fiction novels.  Salt to the Sea is a young adult historical fiction that takes place in 1945 during World War II.  It follows four individuals in East Prussia as they attempt to escape the incoming Russian troops by boarding a cruise liner, the Wilhelm Gustloff.  Everyone knows of the Titanic and many are familiar with the Lusitania, but the Wilhelm Gustloff is relatively unknown, despite it being the shipwreck with the most casualties.  Following these lovable characters as they endure such tragic events makes this tragic story even more heartbreaking.  If you are looking for a book that will make you cry, I suggest picking up Salt to the Sea this winter.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

This is another of my favorite historical fiction novels, and one of my favorite books of all time.  The Nightingale follows two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, in France during World War II.  These strong women show the fight that women endured throughout the war, and it is inspiring to read about their bravery throughout such a tragic time.  Similar to Salt to the Sea, this novel is absolutely heart-wrenching, and there is a 99% chance that you will need a box of tissues at some point throughout the book.  This book is so powerful and will leave you thinking about it and the characters that you will have come to love, long after you have finished reading it.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite classic, and it never fails to put a smile on my face.  For me, the story and characters are so heartwarming and cozy.  It is the perfect book to read on a chilly day with a nice warm cup of coffee or tea.  I am currently debating rereading this iconic love story this winter, and if you haven’t read it already, I suggest you do so!  

Happy reading!

Sarah Hennig

Conn Coll '24

Sarah Hennig is a junior at Conn who loves to read and write. She enjoys hiking, traveling, and spending time with her friends.
Her Campus Conn Coll