This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Coronavirus. Some will say it’s synonymous with disappointment, depression, stress, isolation. It really just put a damper on things. Especially when it comes to us hanging out with friends. I have had a lot of Facetime calls during quarantine, but another app I have been using a lot is Netflix Party. It is an extension on Google Chrome that allows you to sync Netflix accounts to watch the same thing at the same time as your friends, and there is a chat you can use. Knowing that a lot of people will be using this, I wanted to give people some suggestions of things to watch.

This list will be of TV shows only because I am an avid TV show watcher. I feel like I have had a lot of experience and can give you a comprehensive list backed by research. And by research, I mean me sitting for hours on end bingeing these shows. So, you can watch these with friends or alone to take you out of the sad reality we are in now. I have tried to include shows that you probably haven’t heard of, so you get to try out new things. There are all Netflix originals as well, meaning you can only watch those shows on Netflix. Not sponsored or anything. Although I should be. So Netflix, if you’re reading this for some reason, help a girl out. Okay that’s enough of a tangent. Let’s start the countdown.

Money Heist (La Casa de Pape

This is literally the best TV show I have ever watched. I know that’s a bold statement, but it’s true. The character development, the character flaws, drive the plot, and everything makes sense. I can’t predict a thing. It keeps you on your toes. It has action. It has comedy. It has suspense. I could go on forever. It is in Spanish (Spanish people know what they are doing), and yes, watch with subtitles. I am not going to say what it is about because it’s so much better when you know nothing, but just know you are going to shed some tears and you’re not going to be able to stop watching. So before you start, be prepared. Ciao (wink).

Umbrella Academy

This is another one of those shows where I literally just started watching to check it out and ended up finishing it all in one day. This is a show that was adapted from a comic book, but it isn’t like Marvel or DC movies. It has that element of action, but there is also some Sci-Fi in there. The show is brilliant in form: the cinematography, the actors, and the plot. I don’t want to give away too much, but think of a dysfunctional family with superpowers and daddy issues. Intrigued? Give it a watch.

Elite

Think Gossip Girl meets Law and Order. You get Elite. Pronounced Eh- lee- tey since it is a Spanish show. (Also, watch with English Subs and not Dubs. The dubbing is horrible, and it’s just so much better hearing the actual actor. I judge people who use dubs.) People say its what Riverdale wishes it was, and that’s true. It perfectly blends high school drama with murder so well and makes you feel like the situation these kids are in is plausible. If this sounds like things you like, you will LOVE this show. I guarantee it.

Sex Education

Okay, so I might be a little biased with this one since I am obsessed with all things British, but I know this show is amazing and the fact that it’s British is only the icing on the cake. This show isn’t afraid of making people uncomfortable, which makes it so much more raw and real. It embraces the awkward with complex characters and storylines. If you want a super funny comedy that feels like you are hanging out with friends from school, this is the show for you.

Hollywood

Now, I wanted to give this show a try and guess what happened. I finished it all in a day. It was so good. If you are an aspiring actor, I would highly recommend. The show deals with issues of racism and the discrimination against homosexuals in early Hollywood (and, if we are being honest, in modern Hollywood). The show is well directed, and the score is also perfectly suited. It has a great cast and amazing costumes and is so visually appealing. It gets a little idealistic when touching on the issues that existed but makes you hopeful for the future. I don’t want to give too much away, so I’ll stop there.  

You

This serial killer stalker show is reminiscent of Dexter if you have ever seen that show. This show only feeds into the phenomenon about our generation romanticizing serial killer characters, but as long as you know killing is bad and you can seperate the show from real life, it’s a great watch. I like escaping the black and white world and being challenged to see the grey, which is what this show does.

Marvel Netflix Originals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDfuDaUdw-Y

These consist of Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones. Also Defenders is the one where they all come together Avengers style. The shows have all been cancelled due to Disney owning the rights to Marvel, but they are amazing shows nonetheless. I suggest giving them a watch if you are into Marvel at all. Also, if you’re into action movies with epic fight scenes, this is the one for you.

Never Have I Ever

Now, this show seems really dumb at first. When I started I was like, “What is this acting?” and “Why do my friends recommend it?” But you have to give it some time. It is a slow burner. You really get to see how the show is aware of how dumb and cliche its high school drama it is and then you begin to just enjoy the good comedy that it is. It’s a quick watch. You can watch it in a day. It is also written by Mindy Kaling, so if you like her or The Office, you will probably like this. There is also an Indian lead, so if you happen to be Indian, I think it’s great to see yourself represented on screen. 

Summertime

This is an Italian show about a girl who hates summer but has the name Summer. Yeah, it’s corny. This girl is just living life and is all grumpy, and she meets this guy, and they fall in love. And to be honest, yes, it’s a little cheesy, love story, but it was cute to watch. It has that same energy as a rom-com when you just watch to see people fall in love. It’s a quick and simple little show to watch. Also, as an Italian learner, it was great practice to hear the language. So, if you also know Italian, it’s a great show to watch. 

Cheer

Cheer is a documentary about the life of cheerleaders in a school in the South. These aren’t your average cheerleaders. They come from all walks of life and have such gut-wrenching stories, so get your tissues ready. As a former cheerleader, I loved it, and I know people who know nothing about cheerleading loved it, too. They even made it on Ellen. If you like documentaries, this is the one for you.

And that is my Top 10 shows you should watch on Netflix right now. 

Elyce Afrifa

Conn Coll '22

I was born and raised in Bronx, NY. I attended Herbert H Lehman High School where she participated in an acting club. I currently attend Connecticut College in New London, CT where I plans to major in biology and minor in theater. I am also on the Women's Rugby Team and apart of Wig and Candle the acting club here. I also am a big fan of many TV shows, Shameless, The Flash and Big Brother to name a few.
Her Campus Conn Coll