Life > Experiences

The good, the Bad, & The ugly: The chronicles of a Texas Roadhouse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

As a Texas native, it would be assumed that I am a regular at the popular chain Texas Roadhouse. It may surprise everyone that I visit Chilis and Panera Bread more than my alma mater. Having gone only once, I felt I had done my native land a disservice by not attending nor advocating for it more. Thus, I decided to rectify my Northern attitude and return to the heart of Texas (hidden within the heart of New London). This is the chronicles of Texas Roadhouse and the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all. 

Atmosphere

The overall Western meets Southern hospitality vibe in Texas Roadhouse is welcoming, comforting, and a bit unsettling. Upon entrance, you are greeted immediately with a howdy and a basket of warm rolls and cinnamon butter. They lead you through a labyrinth of Texas Roadhouse patrons eating their ribeyes, steaks, and baskets of chicken critters, that leaves you salivating once you’re finally seated at your table. Every 10 minutes, your conversation is interrupted for a birthday shoutout in which you yell “YEEHAW” in alliance with the celebration. With walls decorated in Western art, and the birthday horse saddle that parades around the restaurant, the atmosphere of Texas Roadhouse surprises you at every turn. 

Food

The Texas Roadhouse cuisine is everything you would assume it to be. Everything is bigger in Texas, and the portions at Texas Roadhouse are no exception. The complimentary basket of fresh buttery rolls accented with their in-house cinnamon butter was a decadent beginning to the meal. It took up all of our appetite, but nonetheless, we persisted. Everything was deeply fried and full of calories. As we left the establishment with stuffed to-go containers and stuffed stomachs, we all felt the weight Texas Roadhouse had given us. 

service

On brand with Southern hospitality, Texas Roadhouse was full of cheery and friendly staff who did service with a smile. When we first arrived, I bumped into a lady and said sorry only to be greeted with an encouraging speech about how women need to stop being sorry. After her inspiring, mini- pep talk, my interactions only intensified. The service was speedy, and even the manager came by to see if he could make our experience any better. It was a beautiful mirage into the Southern lifestyle I left behind. 

As I sit here writing this, with leftovers in my fridge and lingering stomach pain from my chicken critters, I am thankful for the Texas Roadhouse chain because of its entertainment appeal and scrumptious food. Although I don’t plan on making this a weekly occurrence, it felt nice to be in a Texas cosplay, and to show my New England counterparts what I call home. Until next time TXRH. 

Meredith Harper

Conn Coll '24

Meredith Harper is a junior at Connecticut College. She loves to write, listen to music, and hangout with friends.