A new study finds that the sugars found in the agave plant, which are used to make tequila, can help people lose weight. In honor of this new discovery, here are a couple of delicious tequila recipes to try.
1. The Classic Margarita
• 1 jigger (1.5 ounces) tequila
• 1/2 ounce Triple Sec
• 1 ounce fresh lime or lemon juice
• Salt (optional)
Directions: Shake all ingredients with cracked ice. Use the fruit rind to moisten the rim of the glass, then spin the glass around upside down in salt to salt the rim. Strain the cocktail mix into the glass. You can also serve it over the rocks.
2. Tequila Sunrise
• 1.5 oz El Tesoro Reposado Tequila, chilled
• 4 oz Fresh orange juice
• 1 dash Grenadine
Directions: Add the tequila and then the orange juice to a chilled highball glass. Float the grenadine on top and garnish with an orange slice and a cherry.
• 2 oz. tequila (blanco or reposado recommended)
• 6 oz. grapefruit juice
• Splash of club soda
• 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
• Salt or sugar for rimming (optional)
• Lime wedge and maraschino cherry, or grapefruit wedge for garnish (optional)
Directions: Rim glass with salt or sugar. Fill glass with ice. Add tequila and lime juice, and stir. Top off with grapefruit juice and soda. Stir again. Garnish and serve.
4. Salty Chihuahua (with Lemonade)
• 1.5 oz. tequila
• 5 oz. lemonade
• Splash of lime juice
• Lime wedge, and coarse salt or sugar for garnish (optional)
Directions: Rim glass with salt or sugar. Fill glass with ice. Pour in tequila and lemonade. Squeeze and drop in lime wedge for a splash of lime juice. Stir and serve.
5. Horny Bull
• 2 oz. tequila
• Orange juice
Directions: Fill tall glass with ice and pour in tequila. Stir 2-3 times. Top off with OJ and serve.