The countdown to Spring Break is on and it’s hard to focus on the exams to take and papers to turn in when you are thinking of jetting off on vacation, catching up with friends from home, and eating home-cooked meals with your family. I usually leave packing until the last minute, which makes for a disorganized and an overstuffed suitcase. When I return to campus, I find myself bringing along more clothing than my room can accommodate, which is why I have compiled a list of things to bring home with you, and things to bring back to campus for the end of the year.
- As a break from the madness of midterms, schedule a time with your friends to do a temporary or permanent clothing swap. If one of your friends is going on a tropical vacation, but you will be relaxing at home, loan her some sandals and summer dresses, and pick a cozy sweater of hers to wear over break.
- Before the clothing swap, go through your clothes on your own, and if you have not worn something in the past two months, chances are you won’t be wearing it anytime soon. Offer that piece of clothing to your friends to fight over!
- Hopefully we won’t need to be gearing up for winter when we return from break, but just in case, keep one of your winter jackets and a pair of gloves in your room, but bring the rest home. The more that you bring home now, the less you will have to pack into the car at the end of the year.
- Pack up any heavy winter blankets that you have on your bed, because before you know it, you won’t be able to get enough cool air into your room!
- If you don’t have an umbrella now, make sure to bring one from home for New London spring showers.
- To make a change to your room, look in the linen closets at home for different bedding…bright colors and flowers preferred!
- It has been shown that exposure to nature makes you happier and more productive, so bring back a bouquet of flowers for the first week back from break, or invest in some pretty faux flowers at your local craft store to keep around.
- For sunny days on the green, make room in your suitcase for a bathing suit and a book for pleasure reading.
Remember, leave time to pack intelligently before you head back home, and keep warm weather in mind for arriving back to school!