This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet this weeks Campus Celebrity, senior Robbie Douglas! Robbie has a unique double major, hails from the great state of Massachusetts, was a part of KORU, traveled to Vietnam, and is a tenacious member of the men’s rugby team!  Read on to learn more about Robbie’s adventures in Vietnam and other fun facts!

Class Year: 2015

Hometown: Osterville, MA

Major: Economics and Environmental Science

Extracurricular activities: I am the Rugby president and a Koru Campus Leader

We hear you had an interesting internship this past summer, could you tell us what you did at Koru? 

I had a great experience this summer. I used my CELS grant to live in Seattle and attend the month long career enhancement program. Koru gives you several applicable real world skills, and then gives you experience putting them to use. Koru partners with several companies like Amazon and LinkedIn. These companies give Koru a real problem that needs a solution, and over the course of your program, you work in small teams on the issue cumulating in a final presentation. I presented with my team in front of 70 people, not being a big public speaker this was a crazy first for me. 

Did you enjoy your time in Vietnam? What was the most interesting thing you did there?

I loved studying in Vietnam, it’s an entirely different world. One of the coolest days we had was getting lost in the Mountains of Sapa. Before I launch off into this story let me preface it by saying that the only map we had was a drawing on the back of a napkin.

The day started with a cab driver who tried to run us over because we made him drive farther than he thought he’d have too. We then tried to explore these villages, which we would later find out are on the other side of the valley. After a lot of hiking around, we found a few guys who were paid to take us across the valley to these villages on their motor bikes. Despite almost falling off the bike, and down the mountain, we made it into the villages. We then had the bright idea to hike to Cat Cat, a village in the northern part of the valley. We hiked until we found ourselves lost in the mountains. We had no idea where we were, and the sun was setting, which meant we’d be sleeping with the snakes. Fortunately, we bumped into some locals who offered to hike with us, for two hours, back to the area where we were staying.

Did you try any unique foods you didn’t think you would like but actually did?

I ate a fried spider for the novelty of it, and it actually wasn’t terrible… tasted like peanuts.

Do you have a go to party anthem?

I listen to a pretty aggressive playlist before rugby games, but if we’re going party anthem I hate to admit it, but Taylor Swift’s “Shake it Off” is growing on me.

What is your favorite thing in your room?

Hands down it’s my futon.

Have you ever had an embarrassing Camel moment?

I’m not easily embarrassed, but I managed to walk into the wrong bathroom in Cro one time. That was not too pleasant.

What is one thing you have not checked off your Conn bucket list yet?

Well before I graduate I want to climb up the AC roof…. don’t tell Camp Po!

How do you feel about being Campus Celebrity?

Well I guess I’ve made it now…

Emily is currently a senior attending Connecticut College. She is a Biology and English double major. Her interests include community service, lazy days in bed watching movies and hanging out outdoors with friends. Like her interests, her taste in music and movies is all over the place. She has had an amazing four years here at Conn College so far, and is excited and nervous about being much closer to the REAL WORLD!
Her Campus Conn Coll