Ranking Dinosaur Types, “Dance Moms” Style

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This article needs little explanation: I love dinosaurs, I grew up on Dance Moms, and I am simply a Gen Z girlie. Of course I have seen endless TikToks of things being ranked on a Dance Moms pyramid! What better way to procrastinate than ranking one of my nerdiest interests? Side note: I adore literally all of these types of dinosaurs… however, I do have favorites. 

As Abby Lee Miller would say… ON THE BOTTOM, we have the Pachycephalosaurs! Don’t get me wrong, I love these guys. Their thick skull thing is kind of awesome, but given that they aren’t that well known and are just less cool than every other kind of dinosaur, they’re going here. No solo for these guys this week!

NEXT… we have Ornithopods! Look… Some of these guys are among my favorite dinosaurs… but as a whole, they are less crazy,  less interesting to look at , and less entertaining in their behavior than other dinosaurs. No solo for them either, sorry… 

THEN… we have Ceratopsians! These guys are also awesome and do have one iconic character found in the Triceratops, but they remain less interesting than some of their counterparts. Maybe they can have a small special part in the group dance? 

NOW… we have Ankylosaurs! Once again, love them, even have a stuffed animal of one, but we have to have a bottom row. They can have a duet, maybe. 

Moving on to the middle row! 

NEXT… we have Stegosaurs! Come on, these are awesome. That said, all of these are really cool. Middle row for you, Stegosaurs. Maybe a duet with the Ankylosaurs? You better win though– everyone’s replaceable!

NOW… we have Theropods! These guys are versatile and super cool, and birds are descended from them, so they really are our last link to non-avian dinosaurs. Love them, but I’m a vegetarian and these guys were decidedly big fans of meat. There would be no bones to pick if I did not have to rank these guys, but by my own decision to write this article, I have to make sacrifices. They can have a special part in the group dance. 

SECOND… we have Sauropods! Come on, long necked dinosaurs are iconic! We love them! They can have a solo, but they better win! 

I suppose, if you know anything about dinosaurs, you are wondering who could possibly be left? Well… this isn’t entirely fair, but I’m channeling my inner Abby Lee here, and when was that woman ever fair? You see… the top of the pyramid is actually… not dinosaurs. And so… ON TOP OF THE PYRAMID… Pterosaurs! Yes, I’m sure all the other dinosaurs’ moms are screaming at me right now. How could that be fair? They aren’t even dinosaurs! Well, too bad, because life isn’t fair and I love flying Mesozoic creatures that are close relatives of the dinosaurs! Pterosaurs, you get a solo at Nationals, and a special part in the group dance, and a duet, and a trio! These flying creatures? My Maddie.

Caroline Snyder is a sophomore at Connecticut College who is double majoring in English and Environmental Studies! She is also on the rowing team, runs events for Conn's Her Campus chapter, is on the education task force in the Office of Sexual Violence Prevention, and works in the college's archives, among other things. She loves writing, reading, her cat, dinosaurs, working out, and sustainability.