Popular Professor: Derrick Yanford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Whether you’re a dancer, a dance fan, or not involved in dance at all– you should try and meet ballet teacher, Derrick Yanford. He brings an energy and passion to the dance studio that is simply contagious. Derrick is not only a gifted dancer and choreographer, but he is also a tremendously motivating teacher who knows how to push his students closer to achieving their dreams, and he is able to do so with a hysterical sense of humor. Although Derrick’s career in the performing arts is impressive, it is his humble attitude and graciousness make his story all the more inspiring. For those who don’t know Derrick from taking ballet class, reading this interview will help you understand why he is coveted by his students and colleagues. Enjoy!

When did you first begin dancing? I started my formal training when I was 12 years old but I had been dancing and performing in my school’s musical productions and talent shows since I was 8.  I was a pretty rambunctious kid and found it hard to sit still.  I was always moving, running and jumping around.  Music was always present in my household so I would just dance to the radio or what not.  I fortunately grew up watching Solid Gold, Soul Train, Dance Party USA and am also a product of the MTV generation (however, I remember watching music videos on HBO on Friday nights before MTV came around.)  I loved watching those shows and was fascinated by the dancing.  When I was in the second grade I got my chance…I danced imitating Michael Jackson (of course, he was huge at the time) doing the moonwalk, which I had taught myself how to do, in our school’s musical production. I really enjoyed it and wanted more.  So, I entered our school’s talent show doing solos I made up on my own.  This went on for a few years.  Long story short, a woman in the audience who had seen me dancing in the talent shows for a few years had come to my house, spoke with my mother telling her I had talent and that she should really think about enrolling me in dance classes.  My mother told her we didn’t have the money to do that.  So…this same woman, who’s daughter was enrolled at a dance school in a few towns over, found and went to the local studio that was less than 3 miles away from my house, told the director about me and asked if she would be willing to put me on a scholarship.  TRULY AMAZING!!!  My mother ended up taking me for an audition to be on scholarship. I was so scared because I knew some students who went there and they were so good. I was so intimidated but, went anyway and the rest is history.  It has been awhile since I have recounted this story and I have to say I am more and more amazed by it the older I get.  I am so truly grateful and fortunate to the powers that be that made this possible…I wouldn’t be where I am today…thanks universe, I love you!

Describe the impact that dancing has had on your life. You know, I am quite thankful that I am a dancer because dance allows me to express myself in a nonverbal manner.  Sometimes, words lack the power to convey how we really feel, or to say what we  really want to say…so I will, with words, try my best: I don’t spend much time thinking about the impact dance has had on my life because in many ways, it has become a way of life.  Something very normal and natural…like breathing.  I don’t spend much time thinking about how I breathe either but, I am constantly breathing.  I must breathe.  Awake, sleeping, conscious or unconscious…I still breathe.  In a way, dance has had this same kind of impact.  It is a constant…a must…just like breathing.  Dance must be apart of my life!!!  Looking back, I now consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, because I found my passion at a young age.  I’ve known for along time that dance would always be apart of my life.  That in some way, I would not be able to live without it.  They say hind sight is 20/20 and I must admit, looking back, I see what dance was for me as a youngster…a means of escape.  It was a way to deal with circumstances I knew not how to deal with at the time. I think that most people think that the way they are raised and the environment they grow up in, must be similar to all people.  I sure did.  It just seemed like everyone’s life must be similar to mine.  I had no reason to think otherwise.  Having traveled and seen the world, growing up and growing older, I know this is so far from the truth.  I have met people and have experienced cultures that have no semblance to my upbringing.  So…with what it is I know now to be my truth, I believe that dance was my escape.  A form of therapy.  A way of dealing with the life I knew to be.  Dance allowed me to overcome any and all obstacles in my may.  I believed I could dance my way through any situation.  That as long as I was dancing, everything would be okay.  It’s this belief that has gotten me to where I am today and I am so grateful for it. The love I have for dance is intense.  In some ways it saved my life.  I spent most of my time dancing: no time to really get in trouble hanging out with the wrong crowd.  I could have turned out quite differently.  I have friends from the same neighborhood who chose a very different path.  I thank God to have stayed on mine. I spent my time perfecting my craft.  It seemed to be the only thing important to me.  The impact is immeasurable!

What was your first real experience in the professional dance world? My first professional experience was at the age of 15.  I had only really started training at the age of 12.  The first year it was just a jazz class once a week.  The next year it was jazz and ballet. When I was 14 I added tap and acrobatics.  I learned quickly and gave it my all.  By the time I was 15, I was at the studio everyday taking every class I could. The story goes like this:  I had auditioned to dance for the summer at an amusement park.  My grandmother, who was also in show business, had brought it to my attention.  I didn’t really think I would get the job and technically I wasn’t old enough to do it (you had to be at least 16 to audition).  But, I thought it would be a good experience so I went for it.  I lied about my age, went to the audition with a friend of mine (who was also under age) and we both got the job.  We never thought they would offer it to us but they did. Long story short, we performed for the entire summer and no one was the wiser. I had the time of my life.  15 years old and getting paid to do what I loved to do…you can’t be that.  I was hooked.

What would you say is your most cherished memory of your performing career? My most cherished memory performing was as an amateur.  I remember it as if it were yesterday.  I grew up as a competitive dancer.  Back then, it was different.  My school used competition as a tool to better ourselves.  We weren’t rivals so much as we were friends…sharing.  My teacher took us to competitions that would expose us to the best talent in the area so we could see what was out there.  What was possible.  The winning really came second.  It was the icing on the cake not the reason why we went. In any event, it was at one of these competitions that I had a profound performing experience.  I remember sitting in the back of the theater contemplating how I would like to perform.  I literally could see myself on the stage.  It was as if time and space did not exist…it was just me and my thoughts.  I would equate it to an out of body experience.  I remember seeing myself on stage before it happened.  It was so clear to me.When it came my time to perform, everything went just the way I had seen it in my mind’s eye.  I had a flawless performance.  I have never had an experience such as this since.  I do hold it very close to my heart.

What is your proudest accomplishment of your career? I would have to say the proudest accomplishment of my career (as a dancer) would be when I was offered a contract to dance with Ballet Hispanico.  This happened while I was still in college. I was only twenty years old and was auditioning with other students from my school who were in their senior year.  I didn’t have a headshot or much of a resume but I was encouraged by two of my teachers to go and see what happens.  The experience alone would have been worth it.  I remember there being a lot of good dancers and telling myself just to do my best.  And it paid off.  Turns out they were only hiring one male dancer and they chose me.  That was pretty cool.

Where around the country (or world) have you danced and with whom? I don’t know how many different states I’ve been to but I’ve been on a few national tours that have taken me from coast to coast.  One was the First National Tour of “Footloose”.  The other was “A Few Good Men Dancing”.  I also toured nationally with Koresh Dance Company and Battleworks.  I did an opera in Washington DC at the Kennedy Center.  I’ve worked at Disney World in Florida.  Internationally, I did two European tours, “Evita” and “West Side Story” that took us to Germany and Switzerland.  I have performed in France and the Netherlands with The Next Stage Project.  I have a small dance company based in Ottawa, Canada that recently performed in the Dominican Republic.  Dance has also taken me to Japan and Australia.  I have literally been paid to see the world while doing what I love to do.  I consider myself to be very fortunate!!!

How would you describe your experience teaching dance at Connecticut College? I really enjoy teaching here at Conn.  The faculty is so warm and welcoming.  So are the students. I felt right at home as soon as I started.  It’s also a nice change of pace.  Most of my teaching career has either been purely at a ballet school or a private sector dance studio teaching students of high school age or younger.  It’s nice to be teaching older students who really love dance and have chosen to stick with it.  I appreciate their maturity and work ethic.  I also enjoy that the dance department is open to any students who might be interested.  It provides such an interesting mix of students that all have something different to bring to the table.  I hope to be here for a long time.

What advice would you give to people who are interested in the performing arts (whether it be dancing, acting, singing, etc..) The first bit of advice I would give those who want to work in show business is to go for it!!!  There are so many people in this world who will tell you not to.  Either because you’re not talented enough or it’s not lucrative or it’s too tough or whatever.  The truth is, you’ll never know if you don’t try.  A lot of it has to do with luck and who you know.  Being in the right place at the right time can change everything, in an instant.  If this is your love, if this is your passion, if this is your dream you owe it to yourself to try.  You would be surprised how many people I come in contact with who say they wished they still danced, or wish they kept up with their singing or acting.  They often regret not giving themselves a chance.  I think if you are truly passionate about something, you should follow that passion.  You will see how things fall into place when you follow your passion.  Doing what you love to do for a living is more rewarding than anyone can tell you.  What’s the point of having dreams if you’re not going to chase after them?

Who would you say has had the biggest impact on your life? I would probably have to say my first dance teacher Brenda Barna.  She wasn’t only my teacher she was like a mother to me.  She took me under her wing.  She cared for me.  She fed me.  She clothed me.  She inspired me.  She gave me the tools I needed to become who I am today both as a person and an artist.

Many non-dancers view the world of dance to be exclusively female oriented. How has this stigma affected you and what has your experience been like breaking this incorrect stereotype? I wouldn’t really say that I was too badly effected by the stereotype.  I didn’t pay much attention to it.  I was pretty naive as a child so I don’t know that I was really that aware of what people may have thought about me doing an activity that was supposedly for girls.  I had three sisters growing up so I was around girls all the time.  I was in chorus which was also a lot of girls.  I don’t know that I really cared what other people thought.  I never really spent time around people who thought negatively of me or my choices.  I was too busy dancing.  I was usually around like minded individuals who loved what they were doing.  Of course, there were always some people who would say something here or there but I didn’t really pay attention to them.  I didn’t see the point.  Some people are just purely ignorant and that’s just the way it goes.  You can’t change their minds try as you might.  So I never tried to.  I never really felt like I had something to prove.  The male dancers I had come into contact with were amazing and I looked up to them.  I wanted to be like them. I wanted to be the best dancer I could and nothing was really going to keep me from doing that. 

Are you currently working on any pieces and/or dancing outside of teaching at Connecticut College? I don’t really perform any more.  I had a great career and I loved it but I am done with that chapter in my life.  I do love to choreograph and I am always working on new projects.  I am currently working on a new piece for my company and I’ll be creating a solo for a student of mine who’ll be competing in the Youth of America Grand Prix.

What is your personal motto?  In a word…LOVE!  I believe love is so powerful. Everyone deserves it and everyone should share it.  Do what you love.  Do what you do with love. Love what you do.  Add love to everything you do.  Love yourself,  Love each other. All you need is LOVE!

Her Campus Conn Coll