This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Fall is right around the corner, and we’re gearing up for the chilly evenings, beautiful colors, and holiday prep. It’s the best time of year and, lucky for us, there are plenty of fun activities to partake in around the New London area. Here are a few of our favorite fall activities:

During my falls here in New London, I’ve loved getting to explore the area and find great local businesses. Going to the Niantic Book Barn is one of my favorite activities and is especially fun to visit when the leaves have turned red and the colder months are around the corner. I highly recommend taking a trip to Niantic to see the beach, get food at one of the local spots, and then thrift some books, say hi to the store cat, and take time exploring the Book Barn! 

• Maria Sell ‘23 

One of my favorite activities to get me into the fall spirit is apple picking. It feels so quintessential New England to put on a cute flannel, grab some friends, and go explore an orchard for the afternoon. During my first year at Conn, I went to Holmberg Orchards and absolutely loved it. There were so many types of apples to choose from and the farm also had a market, an apple cider donut stand, and hayrides. Plus, it’s a nice way to get some fruit that didn’t come from Harris! If you are looking for something to put you in a fall mood, I definitely recommend the orchard. 

• Caitlin Boyd ‘24

There are plenty of free fall activities at Conn that can be just as fun as getting off campus. I love taking walks through the arbo in the fall months. So many of the trees turn at different times, so there is never a bad time to go and see the beautiful foliage. The arboretum is also a great place to soak up the last of the warm weather before winter sets in. 

• Caitlin Boyd ‘24

One of my favorite, free, fall activities is to go on leaf walks! During the peak of foliage, head outside and admire the scenery, which is easy to do in Conn’s 750 acre arboretum. If you see a leaf that’s especially gorgeous on the ground, pick it up, and take it home with you. Spread your leaves out between two sheets of loose-leaf paper, grab a big, heavy book (like a textbook), place your leaf sheets somewhere between the pages, and then wait about a month. You’ll have some beautiful pressed leaves that you can keep forever!

• Lara Beckius ‘24
Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.
Caitlin Boyd

Conn Coll '24

Caitlin Boyd is a junior at Connecticut College studying neuroscience. She loves writing everything from book recs, to music reviews, to campus life experiences! If you see Caitlin around Conn, she is probably looking fascinated by the campus squirrels.
Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!