New A Cappella Group Hits Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet Miss Connduct…

Unique, creative, and exciting are only a few expressive words that can describe “Miss Connduct,” the newest a cappella group at Connecticut College. Comprised of 12 beautifully talented young women, Miss Connduct embraces a soulful sound and loves to share their music and talent with any and every audience. Despite being the college’s youngest group, Miss Connduct is looking to change up the a capella scene on campus. Most importantly, Miss Connduct loves to showcase the fun and excitement that art, especially music, can bring to life.

Candace “Candee” Taylor, a Junior here at Conn, started Miss Connduct last fall. I had the pleasure of asking her a few questions about what compelled her to start the group and what to expect in the upcoming months. 

How did you start Miss Conduct?

After auditioning for a cappella groups two years a row, getting callbacks two years in a row and not getting into a group both times, I wondered what it was that I was doing wrong. Then I remembered something that my high school choral director once told me. “Sometimes it’s not about whether or not you can sing, it’s about your fit in the group and how you blend.” And suddenly it all made sense to me. I didn’t fit into the a cappella scene here at Conn and the various groups on campus had actually done me a favor by not accepting me into a group and trying to spend time covering my voice up. So, I decided to take the initiative and create a group, my own group, one that would highlight my voice type and bring something different to our campus. Thus, I went out and talked to friends who had a similar experience and some hidden gems who never auditioned for groups and formed Miss Connduct… a soul-filled all women’s a cappella group.

What do you, and other members, like most about a cappella?

My favorite part of a cappella is the sensation you get from producing an entire song with voices. There is something truly amazing about knowing that you only need one instrument, the voice, to create a profound and powerful unified sound.

Do you watch glee? Which character do you most identify with and why?

I would have to say Kurt because he is fabulous and so am I (jk, jk). But, I really identify with him because he is himself wholeheartedly. He may have a down day and let the world get the best of him, but he always falls back on who he is and does what he wants to do. Sometimes that means you stay with a group of people that makes you happy and you practice a common interest, and sometimes that means taking a risk and walking out on your own and finding people who will support you and join you on a new mission.

What should ConnColl expect from this group (ie. up-coming songs, dancing?)

They should expect excitement and true soul. Also, we will be doing short low-key performances throughout the semester that we will call “Miss Connduct Minis”. These include a Nursery Rhyme remix mini and a Halloween themed mini. And during our Fall Concert we will be presenting some choreography that no one will want to miss, we may even show a sneak peek of what to expect at the Fall Weekend Concert!

Be sure to keep an eye out for future Miss Connduct performances before they get “Souled Out”!

Danielle is a sophomore at Connecticut College and is currently pursuing a double-major in International Relations and Middle Eastern Studies. Danielle began writing for the Connecticut College branch of Her Campus in the fall of 2011 and will continue to write this year as Editor and Campus Correspondent. Danielle has traveled all over the world and continues her love for other cultures and languages through her studies. Besides traveling, she loves to sing and dance - especially as a member of Miss Connduct, an all-female A capella group at Connecticut College. In general, Danielle loves sushi, goats, traveling, and Star Wars/Lord of the Rings. She is thrilled to be working with Her Campus this year!
Elyse Lebel is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in Psychology and Sociology. Studying abroad her spring semester in Copenhagen, Denmark, she loves to travel and learn about different cultures. As co-founder of the Her Campus branch at her school, Elyse has a strong passion and interest in writing, communications, and fashion. This summer, Elyse interned at Teen Voices, a non-profit magazine based in Boston, and is excited to continue to gain experience in online publication with the HC team!