This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

I am going to preface this by saying that I am by no means a film critic.  In fact, I have never even taken a film class in college.  That being said, I watched Don’t Worry Darling last week with my friends, and I have some thoughts.  Considering all of the hype, drama, and controversy surrounding the movie, I was very curious to see it for myself and form my own opinions.  

1. Harry Styles’ Acting

I went into this movie with very low expectations for Harry Styles’ acting.  I heard that he was underqualified for the role and that his acting was embarrassingly bad.  I was pleasantly surprised by his acting.  Harry certainly surpassed my expectations, albeit the bar was fairly low.  Harry Styles’ role in the movie was much smaller than I had anticipated, but he did a fine job with his character.  I think “fine” is the best way to describe his acting in Don’t Worry Darling.  He did not do anything amazing, and he did not do anything terrible.  The only time I found myself cringing was when he had a more challenging scene where he had to show a lot of emotion.  All in all, Harry Styles did a solid job and surpassed my low expectations. 

1. Florence Pugh’s Acting 

Florence Pugh was truly the star of Don’t Worry Darling.  Based on the trailers, I did not realize how central Florence Pugh’s character was.  I knew she was going to be the main character, but I thought that there would be other main characters, specifically Harry’s character.  However, Florence Pugh truly carried this movie.  Her acting was phenomenal and she made the movie a more enjoyable experience.  Before Don’t Worry Darling, I had seen Pugh in Little Women and had admired her acting in that movie.  After watching her in Don’t Worry Darling, I am a huge Florence Pugh fan and want to see all of her movies now.  I fully understand the current hype around Florence Pugh and I believe that it is well-deserved.

1. The Plot

Don’t Worry Darling is a Sci-Fi/Dystopian movie with a lot of suspense.  It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but as someone who enjoys watching that kind of genre, I liked it.  I do not think it was groundbreaking or mind-blowing, but I was engaged for almost the entire movie. The beginning was a bit slow, but it picked up the pace—and I was surprised by the plot twist.  The premise of the movie is a suburban community reminiscent of the 1950s in which the women stay home and clean and cook while the men work on a top-secret project called the “Victory Project,” and the main character Alice Chambers, played by Florence Pugh, begins to question the community and how she came to live there.  I will avoid going into spoilers, but while I found the plot twist to be well executed, I was left with many questions at the end of the movie that I wish they had answered.  I wanted more background and details on the main characters’ lives and the start of the community and the Victory Project.  Despite my criticisms, I enjoyed Don’t Worry Darling and would watch it again.

1. Overall Experience and Thoughts 

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and would recommend it to others.  I do not think that it is deserving of its 38% on Rotten Tomatoes.  It was not the best movie I have ever seen, but Florence Pugh’s performance and the engaging and unique plot made it entertaining and a worthwhile film.  If you haven’t already seen it, I suggest going into it with an open mind and forming your own opinion of the movie.  I know that there is still a lot of drama surrounding Don’t Worry Darling, and some people have very strong criticisms of the movie, but I think people should give it a chance and form their own thoughts on it.

If you haven’t seen Don’t Worry Darling yet, go watch it and decide for yourself what you think! 

Sarah Hennig

Conn Coll '24

Sarah Hennig is a junior at Conn who loves to read and write. She enjoys hiking, traveling, and spending time with her friends.