This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Instant gratification comes from opening up your mailbox in Cro and finding a delivery slip! Instead of dreaming about a care package of goodies everyday and finding nothing, why not guarantee a parcel of fun to pick up each month? Invest in a beauty box! Beauty boxes have recently become very popular. Beauty boxes send samples of makeup, perfumes, nail polish, hair and skin care, and other beauty products to mailboxes everywhere each month. Receiving these subscriptions heightens one’s beauty knowledge and serves as a way to use high end products without breaking the bank. Generally, a subscriber will create a profile about the makeup and style routine she has, and then receives similar products accordingly. Makeup connoisseurs will love acquiring the finest BB crèmes from Paris and first timers can learn about popular brands like Urban Decay as well as gain makeup tips through these boxes. A myriad of beauty sampling clubs exist; a girl just has to find the right one for her style. Here are some of the most popular brands:

1. BirchBox: Birchbox is one of the most well-known beauty boxes. It started in 2010 and has become a huge success. Men and women can receive boxes with four or five samples and a “lifestyle extra.” High end European brands and extras like hair ties or fashion tape provide a balance of luxury and familiarity. The Birchbox team tests and researches all products and encourages feedback from customers. Reviews give subscribers ten points to use on the online shop, and every one hundred points provides ten dollars towards online purchases. Beauty tips and inspiration are found all over the website through the BirchBox Magazine as well as expert videos. $10 month sends bestsellers such as Mirenesse Glossy Kiss lipsticks, amika Obliphica Hair Treatment, and Harvey Prince Eau Flirt- Lavender Pumpkin fragrance.

2. Julep: Julep Maven is a box that caters to the manicurists in all of us. After taking a style quiz about various items from nail lacquers to sunglasses, subscribers are sent custom nail polish shades. A typical box will include two to three polishes with mani-pedi essentials like nail files or foot scrubs. Julep Nail Color proudly states that it is “4-free” which means that products do not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, or DBP. About $20 per month supplies subscribers with a box and online store discounts. Each box can be previewed through Julep emails before it ships. If a customer does not like the month’s box, she can choose another style, send the box to a friend, or skip it with no cost. The cool brand is made by women for women and dedicated to the “girlfriends who tell it like it is.” The brand names each shade after one of these “girlfriends.” Chic colors include a deep brown polish, Coco, perfectly described as “oxblood crème”; Paris, a “multidimensional holographic glitter top coat”; and a striking pink, Raegan – an “electric dark pink crème.”

3. Beauty Box 5: Like most beauty boxes, Beauty Box 5 sends products to customers with a goal to “introduc[e] women to new cosmetic products and educat[e] them on best practices.” Where Beauty Box 5 strays away from the norm is that these four to five samples are usually full sized! Makeup, skincare, hair care, and other beauty products and accessories start at $12 a month. Popular brands like Aveeno, La Fresh, Model Co, and Supergoop supply products for Beauty Box 5. The company also prides itself in being very friendly and easy to use for beauty box subscriber first timers as well as offering various eco-friendly products. Subscribers are given free shipping and discounts on items from the online store. In addition, the site has its own style blog full of tips and trends.

4. ipsy: ipsy’s slogan is “beauty by you.” The brand is known for customer personalization. Stylists research and select their favorite beauty products, and then subscribers receive the products that are best for them. Glam Bags containing four to five full-sized and deluxe beauty products come for about $10 per month. Similar to other boxes, ipsy makes subscribers begin with taking a style quiz so Glam Bags can be personalized. Customers also have the option of buying themed Glam Bags like the “Classic Beauty” bag or the “Beach Beauty” bag. The ipsy style quiz is one of the most detailed out of all beauty box profiles which allows for optimal personalization. The company aims for stylist and customer communication by posting videos of stylists using the beauty products of the month and consistently updating the site’s style blog. ipsy offers amazing products from brands such as Urban Decay, theBalm, Too Faced, and Bobbi Brown.

5. GlossyBox: GlossyBox is for the true divas. The box offers luxurious beauty products on a global basis. In the company’s own words, “Whether it be a product featured on the runways of Milan or the newest skincare regimen from Japan, we strive to make sure you are the first to have access to it.” GlossyBox beauty enthusiasts research products to find the highest quality brands and trendiest samples. Five to six samples from brands like essie, Burberry Beauty, Estee Lauder, and Oscar de la Renta come each month for $21. Much like BirchBox, GlossyDOTs are offered as points for reviewers to redeem at the online store. GlossyBox sells a themed limited edition box each month which has eight products and one surprise product.

Other boxes to check out are curlBox branded to girls with curls, BeautyFix for skincare aficionados, goodebox specializing in sustainable, eco-friendly cosmetics, and Sample Society partnered with Allure Magazine!

Julia is a senior who loves writing for Conn's Her Campus chapter! While she is studying economics and environmental studies, she is also interested in fashion and beauty. Her Campus has allowed Julia to incorporate these personal interests into her weekly schedule.
I am a junior and a Campus Correspondent for Connecticut College! I am majoring in American Studies and a PICA scholar. I was a High School Ambassador for HerCampus in 2010-2011 and a contibuting writer 2011-2012. I love writing, editing, and social media. This fall, I am a Student Coordinator for the Women's Center, a photographer for College Relations, and am also a member of SafetyNet. When I'm not writing, I love being outside and enjoy many many different types of music. I also enjoy shopping at the Container Store, sharpie markers, thunderstorms, onesies, Gilmore Girls, The Newsroom, New Girl, 60 Minutes, and The West Wing.