This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Summer is the perfect time to indulge in some quality reading outside of the classroom. Whether you choose to lounge on the beach, cozy up in a hometown coffee shop, or lay in a hammock by the lake, arguably the best part of summer reading is getting to read whatever YOU want. From adorable rom-coms, to mind-boggling fantasy, and heart-warming coming-of-age stories, the options are endless! Here are four of the summer’s most popular books – perfect for sneaking  in one more summer read before the chilly weather comes in and assignments start piling up:

Happy Place By Emily Henry

Romance guru Emily Henry’s latest release features an adorably perfect couple: Harriet and Wyn. They, and some of their best friends, met during college. After graduation the group has always reunited a week each summer at their favorite getaway, the Maine cottage. Gearing up for this year’s trip everything seems perfect except for one thing – Harriet and Wyn have broken up. As if this week won’t be awkward enough, Harriet and Wyn haven’t actually told anyone about the break up. Letting their friends believe they’re still together may be painless enough when Harriet and Wyn are free to live their own separate lives, but how will the two keep up this act when they have to spend a week together in the same bedroom? Happy Place is a perfect read for anyone who is looking to dip their toes into the romance genre. It is sure to make your heart laugh, cry, and definitely swoon.

A Court of Thorns and Roses By Sarah J. Maas

Sarah J. Maas’s fantasy series (known as ACOTAR to fans) recently gained a lot of attention on social media. A Court of Thorns and Roses is the first book in Maas’s electrifying series. Nineteen-year-old Feyre is hunting to provide for her family when she comes across a wolf in the woods. To protect herself, and to supply dinner for her family, Feyre kills the wolf. Shortly after she has slain the wolf, a terrifying creature appears and demands that Feyre come with him to pay for the murder of his friend. This creature, Feyre learns, is one of the extremely lethal faeries that she’s only heard about from legends. Taken to the magical land of the Fae as a prisoner, Feyre discovers an immortal world beyond her wildest dreams, and an imminent threat to her own lands. Filled with magic, mystery, romance, and combat, A Court of Thorns and Roses will leave any reader thirsting for more of the fantasy genre.

Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens

Recently adapted into a movie in 2022, Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens is a murder-mystery perfect for the summer. Set in hot and marshy North Carolina, the book follows fourteen-year-old Kya Clark as she navigates living in the marsh alone, after her entire family disappears one-by-one. After living by herself in the marsh for years, the town has dubbed Kya the “Marsh Girl” – wild, solitary, and maybe even dangerous. So when the town’s golden boy, Chase Andrews, is found dead, the “Marsh Girl” seems like an obvious suspect for the crime. Not only a mystery, the novel also explores how growing up alone impacts a young girl’s transition to adulthood. Where the Crawdads Sing is a coming-of-age story that will leave you on the edge of your seat, with twists at every turn.

Daisy Jones & The Six By Taylor Jenkins Reid

Also recently adapted for the screen as a 2023 television series, Daisy Jones & The Six is a coming-of-age story set in Los Angeles in the late 1960s. Daisy is a young girl trying to make a name for herself in the music industry. She enjoys the rockstar parties and hookups, but what Daisy loves most of all is the music. Billy Dunne and his band, The Six, are also gaining traction amongst the music scene in L.A. Discovering both Daisy and the band, a producer suggests that their collaboration could send them all rocketing towards stardom. With the legendary project underway, Daisy Jones & The Six tells the story of the rise and fall of one of the world’s biggest bands. Written from the perspectives of each member of the group, this story touches on the glamor, spirit, heartbreak, and conflict of the famed Daisy Jones & the Six. Readers will fall in love with these characters and the intoxicatingly groovy 1970s vibe.

Abby Coviello

Conn Coll '26

Abby is a sophomore at Connecticut College studying Psychology and English. She is originally from New Jersey, just outside NYC. Outside of class Abby loves reading, listening to music, baking, going on nature walks, and singing in Conn's choir.