Kimye’s Close-Up, via the “Fashion Bible”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Recent controversy stirs in the media over the April issue of Vogue featuring Kanye West and Kim Kardashian, #worldsmosttalkedaboutcouple.  Fiancé, Kanye West stands in the back as Kim takes center stage in a fifties couture Lanvin wedding dress. The cover has drawn various arguments, primarily questioning whether or not the dynamic duo deserve to be on the cover of Vogue. 

The April issue seeks to prevail the “fashionable” and “surreal” life that the Kardashian-West family lives through. Many are questioning the decision made by Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief of Vogue and artistic director of Condé Nast, and whether or not she was bribed by elitist rapper, Kanye West. Wintour redefined the notion of what it means to be a cover model throughout the nineties, transitioning from models to actresses.  “A Vogue cover celebrate[s] women with poise and confidence who [have] made a contribution, if not to the world of fashion, then to the world at large,” Wintour stated in an interview with The Washington Post back in 1998 after selecting Oprah Winfrey and Hillary Rodham Clinton as cover subjects.

Primarily known for her past sex-tape and current reality persona on Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Kim Kardashian is being bashed for her appearance on the cover of Vogue.  In response to the release of the cover page, user abce1358 comments, “Wow – never thought that would happen…Vogue just went downhill. Who’s next? Snooki?” on the Vogue archive website. The digital world has been full of debate over this decision.

While many are bashing the fashion bible for putting the reality star on the front of the highly-coveted magazine, it turns out that it only happened because Kim was in high demand by Vanity Fair and Harper’s Bazaar for their summer spreads.  Kim turned down the request from Harper’s Bazaar because the magazine wanted to use Terry Richardson as the photographer, who is known for provocatively photographing Hollywood celebrities and recent sexual assault scandals. So maybe Kimmy isn’t just the sexy reality star we all assume her to be after all? 

Check out the cover shoot video footage by Annie Leibovitz — complete with a glimpse of a smile from Kanye, Kim’s massive ring taking center stage, and North West cameo.

My name is Alex Breakstone and I am a current sophomore at Connecticut College, majoring in English. I love writing and am thrilled to be writing for Her Campus! One of my favorite books is The Great Gatsby, by F.S. Fitzgerald and I am obsessed with the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's (what girl isn't!). A fun fact is that I collect rubber ducks, all different shapes and sizes (I am now reaching over 60!).
Her Campus Conn Coll